Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Been using this printer just fine for a a few years . Today is shows as IDLE and wont do anything.

can you tell me how to solve please

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@djbwal

Welcome to the HP support community.

Are you getting any error messages?

What happens when you print?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytech 20

When i try to print it just waits to print while the printer just stays in IDLE.

I deleted all the printers from  within system prefs and tried to set up again but although it could see the HP Envy it said" it could not communicate with the device"

I turned everything off for 24 hours and it suddenly worked again for one print job. Next time i came to print again it would not work again and I was back to square one. 

Although both the printer and my macbook are connected to the wifi i reset the router. It worked for a scan Job. The next day it was back to showing as IDLE when i try to print. 

Very frustrating - please help

HP Recommended

@djbwal

Which application are you trying to print from?

Make a copy and check if that copies fine?

Meanwhile:-

Check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.   

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

To isolate the issue, please perform a ping test and share the results

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon Machine generated alternative text:

 on the printer 

2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box 

3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings 

4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost. 

Let me know how it goes.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.