Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy shows up on the network scan as an available (but secured) wireless network called "Direct-1D-HP ENVY 7640 series" . Why is this? How can I change this to not show? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That information is in the User Guide that you download from the HP web site here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/model/6617268/...

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch (Settings).

2. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is Off, touch Wi-Fi Direct and then switch it on.  You switch it off.

3. From your wireless computer, turn wireless on, search for and connect to the Wi-Fi Direct name, for
example: DIRECT-**- HP ENVY-7640 (where ** are the unique characters to identify your printer). Enter
the Wi-Fi Direct password when prompted.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Yes, you have Wireless Direct enabled so it shows the Printers SSID.   If you disable Wireless Direct this will no longer show.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked as to where I would change the setting or disable the setting of "Wireless Direct" and I cannot find it. Where can I find thi9s setting? 

HP Recommended

That information is in the User Guide that you download from the HP web site here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/model/6617268/...

2. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is Off, touch Wi-Fi Direct and then switch it on.  You switch it off.

3. From your wireless computer, turn wireless on, search for and connect to the Wi-Fi Direct name, for
example: DIRECT-**- HP ENVY-7640 (where ** are the unique characters to identify your printer). Enter

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

My Phone and PC are showing that I have an HP Envy 7640 on my wireless Network but my actual Printer is an Epson XP-810 series.

Why can't I find my printer instead of this HP Envy 7640?

Ξ†ΞįŕōŋĦēāđΞ†Ξ
HP Recommended

Sounds like that is hyour old printer.   Remove and delete all printers from your computer and start over.

HP Recommended

My neighbor can print to my HP Envy 7640. After some digging my understanding (tho it may be wrong!!) is that if Wi-Fi Direct is on, this can happen. I do see a network name in my network list in the format mentioned in the solution - DIRECT-**- HP ENVY-7640.

I've tried to do the steps in the solution post:

MY EXPERIENCE: I can to to the "Home" screen on my printer. I don't see an option that says "settings", but I do see "set up". I have gone down that path but I can't find any option that says "Wi-Fi Direct" with an option to turn it on/off. 

MY EXPERIENCE:  I have been able to log on my DIRECT-**- HP ENVY-7640 network from my wireless laptop, and have entered the password.

Recap: So, I still can't tell if Wi-Fi Direct is on or off. 

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@Lesswireless

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you're using the Wi-Fi Direct way of connecting your Computer and Printer then your Wi-Fi Direct is always on.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Hi, thanks. I think that is the problem. My problem is I cannot see how to turn wireless direct off I don’t see anything on the home or settings with the word wireless direct on it. So if it’s possible to turn it off please point me to that information. Thanks 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.