Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7800

Unable to print 4x6 photos from my phone. Troubleshooting tip previously mentioned in the forum addresses solution for users printing from their computers not their smart phones. Printer does not allow the option to select photo tray. Printer is not recognizing the photo tray or the photo paper in the tray. Tried removing paper from main tray. Also downloaded HP app and selected print photo and photo size. Consistently instructs me to load photo paper. Photo paper is loaded printer not recognizing tray. Help!!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Happyhayn

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "load photo [aper error" issue. 

Are you able to print/copy on regular paper?

What is the type and weight of the photo paper you're using?

Refer to print specifications to make sure that you're using the right photo paper -Product Specifications

Meanwhile, watch the video under step 3 in the document to change the source -Install and Use the HP Smart App

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended
  • Hi, as mentioned in the initial post. I’m using 4x6 photo paper and placing it in the photo tray. I am able to print letter size documents from the main tray. The photo tray is not being recognized as in use. I have the app and have tried troubleshooting tips using the chat line. Product is currently under warranty. Printing black/white and color documents from the main tray with and/or without the HP smart app works without issue. The issue is the photo tray. 
HP Recommended

Could you remove the plain paper from the tray and only try and print with the photo paper and check?

HP Recommended

Tried that...does not work. Printer will tell me main tray is empty still does not acknowledge photo tray. 

HP Recommended

try the steps below-

Step 1: Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly

This error can occur if the printer trays are installed incorrectly. Make sure the printer is located on a flat surface, then make sure the photo tray moves smoothly within the paper tray guides.

1. Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.

2. Push in the output tray extender.

3. Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.

Image: Pull out input tray

4. Remove the output tray.

Image: Remove the output tray

5. Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly, and that the photo tray guide tabs (grey) are sliding beneath the main tray guides (black) on both the left and right side of the input tray.

Image: Photo tray properly functioning

Image: Tabs outside and inside guide rails

If they are not in the correct position, gently move the photo tray to align the tab gaps, and then gently press the tabs back into position.

The photo tray should move freely with no resistance.

6. Reinstall the output tray, and then make sure the edges line up with the input tray.

Image: Line up the edges

7. Try to print.

8. If the error persists, try printing or copying a document with the output tray removed.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Yes, all of that has failed. The same troubleshooting steps were provided by the automated chat line. 

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Printer is under warranty until August of 2020.

HP Recommended

Great, please reach HP Support or service options.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.