Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830

Hello! I have a MacBook Air and an HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer. It seems to have been successfully set up (according to the wireless network test result I printed out) and my mac acknowledges it is there. However when I try to print, nothing with the printer occurs. There is no indication of anything, and the home screen is just displayed. When I check the status of the print job on my mac, the name of the printer device on my mac is "HP OfficeJet 3830 Series" and it says "Printing- Looking for printer". There is another printer name that is called "HP OfficeJet 3830 Series [1000D2]", however when I try to switch from the last device printer name to that one, it says "The selected printer is not available or not installed correctly". I am so confused as to why it will not work and I am very upset because I have bought it very recently and the only thing it manages to print is the "Congratulations!" page with the printer email (which did not work when I tried to send the document), the wireless network test, and the wireless quick start guide. I have no idea what I have done wrong and I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

What router brand and model do you have? Mac computers rely on Bonjour, from your description it may happen due to lack of Bonjour / Multicast support, or incorrect configuration of your router, to allow such network traffic.

Additionally, following the steps below and let me know if that allows printing, this may confirm my suspicion.

From your printer screen, tap the bottom Wi-Fi icon and locate the IP Address of your printer, please take a note of it.

From your Mac, click the Apple icon and select System Preferences.

Select Printers & Scanners and click the plus sign.

Click the top IP tab and change the protocol to HP Jetdirect Socket.

Within the Address bar, type your printer's IP Address and rename it as you like under the Name bar.

Now try printing using the newly added print queue, may you successfully print now?

Please let me know the results, as well as the required information, to see what further steps could be tried to allow both printing and scanning capabilities.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you so much! It worked Perfectly! Your help is so greatly appreciated! Hope you are healthy and well. 

HP Recommended

Hi @redanielJ 

While this resolves a print problem, it will likely not allow scanning without resolving the root problem, if you experience issues while trying to scan and need to use scan capabilities, please let me know the answer to the other questions on my previous post.

Thanks much, I hope you and your family too are doing well and healthy. 🙂

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.