Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Purchased the HP OfficeJet 8725 from Sam's Club on 03-04-17.  Having major problems with the connection. It loses it's connection after it prints one time and I cannot print to it again. The wireless signal is excellent.  I powered-off the printer and I was able to print from PC, I-pad, and Cell after it restarted. I am now waiting for the signal for drop off as it always does. (the network connection just dropped off). I have tried re-powering the router, printer, and PC three times; this did not fix the disconnecting problem. Turning the printer off and on each time you need to print is not a solution or work-a-round. I haven't found an affective solution after three days of frustration. I really hope the get the problem fixed or I might need to return the printer to Sam's Club.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@DjonesD

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that your HP Officejet pro 8720 printer does not maintain wireless connection.

I would like to help you out with this issue today.

Good to know that you have found the solution and I appreciate your effort.

Please consider these steps for a permanent fix for this issue.

• Restart the computer, printer, and router.
  • Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  • Update the printer firmware.
  • Assign a manual IP address to your printer.

Click here to refer the document and perform troubleshooting steps mentioned above to fix this issue.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I need to consider that this issue has been satisfactorily addressed by others and physically evaluated during the printer set-ups. I did take the HP OfficeJet 8725 back to Sam’s. I had business documents that I needed to print and the puzzled printer connection only delayed my efforts. After exchanging the printer, I bought home from Sam’s the HP OfficeJet 6975. After using my HP OffficeJet 8600 Pro Plus over 4 years, I can see that the HP 6975 has lower performance and qualities than my HP 8600. I am of the opinion that the HP 6975 will not provide the high quality print for flyers, brochures, and booklets equal to the HP 8720 or HP 8600. Sometimes you may need to print the occasional good looking glossy 4x6 inch proto. The HP 6975 photo print quality appeared to be just normal. I am most likely to return the HP 6975. The wireless connection hookup on the HP 6975 worked smooth and simple. No wireless connection problems during install for the HP 6975. I re-powered the router, printer, and PC and tried to manually connect the HP 8725 and it didn’t work. I am shopping for a printer again. I need a printer equal to or better than my HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro Plus.

HP Recommended

Hi @DjonesD,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are having an intermittent connectivity issue on your HP OfficeJet 8720 printer. Don't worry as I have a few other suggestions which should help to resolve this issue,

• First, assign a manual IP to your printer by obtaining the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now we need to reinstall the printer. Try the steps blow:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Full_WebPack_1881.exe and install the printer drivers.
  • In the connection window, choose “wireless” and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup.

Let me know if that helps or if you need further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All of the steps and advice listed so far for this problem are WRONG and will NOT WORK EVER.

This HP printer is a total POS and should be avoided.  Here's why:

HP will NEVER EVER fix the problem with the printer dropping off the network when connected wirelessly.  It's a known issue with the power management interfering with the network card.  On my printer, you have about a 90 second to 3 min window during which you can print.  After that you will have to manually restart the printer as it will drop away from the wireless network.

HP needs to update the firmware to force persistency on the network connectivity, and also allow the customer to disable the absolutely retarded power management.  Then MAYBE it might work consistently under production load.  Of course, their more likelly solution will be to tell you to purchase a newer model.

As a company, this is an indication that they are not a vibrant, innovative technology giant.  They are a dated, crappy outfit overcharging for an inferior product with shoddy workmanship while they circle the drain.

You have been warned.  Purchase at your own risk.

HP Recommended

This is working for me so far.

HP Recommended

In response to your solution, I honestly have those steps MEMORIZED as I have to do those exact same steps EVERY TIME I TRY TO USE MY COMPUTER. Yes, I am frustrated and ready to throw my HP 8720 printer out the window...literally! I have excellent high powered internet and my computer is typically within 1 foot - 15 feet away from the printer at any given time. The printer is no more than 15 feet away from my router. This is so annoying and frustrating.

HP Recommended

I am glad you posted - because I have since given up too.  I had to resort to using a usb cord and cannot use wireless printing to my HP 8720.  I also have an HP Envy laptop - you would think it would be easier.

HP Recommended

Hi BurkinDesign, landmark2018,

My solution now:  

I have shortcuts on my desktop for both the "Devices and Printers" page of my Programs, and my "See what's printing" box. 

When I send something to the printer and i get the message that it is Offline (most of the time), I open both shortcuts.

I then right-click on the grayed out printer icon of the "Devices and Printers" page, and select "Troubleshoot." 

I can then get back to work and watch the document disappear from the "See what's printing" box as the printer re-connects to my wirelss network and does its job.

While this is very annoying, I no longer need to get up from my desk and stand over the printer to turn it off and on again.

C'mon, HP - FIX THIS ISSUE!!

HP Recommended

Yes, BurkinDesign, I ALSO have THOSE saved to my Task Tray and have tried to use the troubleshoot and it tells me either... it can't figure it out... or that I am missing a DRIVER! Do anyone really want to know how many times I have installed and uninstalled my printer, downloaded the software and/or the driver, restarted my computer, ran the troubleshooter just have to do it all again... sometimes within minutes of having already fixed it, scanned one page and it goes out again!!! I agree... HP, FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.