Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have a new MacBook Pro laptop. I put the recommended software and Drivers recommended by HP.

In my printer and faxes it sees the printer it says idle, but when I try to print it goes into print que and that's it. it says waiting for printer.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @isqdnce

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

How is the printer connected to the MAC?

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus    

Click here to download and install the HP printer driver.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, my name is Eduardo and i am having this same issue on my new imac 2019, this printer doesnt work by cable, only Bluetooth. Watching for your answer looking on my system USB report, i figure out that my printer isnt there, what do you recommend me to do?is there any way I can send you a print of my system? Thx.

HP Recommended

@Eduardo31, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your printer is not getting listed under the USB connected devices on your Mac computer.

If the computer is unable to detect the printer over a USB connection, restart the computer, the printer, and check the cable connection.

1. Turn off the printer and your computer, and then disconnect the USB cable from the computer.

2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Check the length of the cable. If the cable is more than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length, replace the cable with one that is shorter.

3. Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. The port should be USB 2.0 or greater. If you use a USB hub or docking station, connect the cable directly to the computer.

4. Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

5. Turn on the computer, and then wait for the computer to complete the startup.

6. Turn on the printer.

If the issue persists, try a different cable, this will help us isolate the issue further.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the whole process step by step as it passed me, now I can see in the system report the HP printer associated with the USB devices connected to my Mac, however what happens is that, when printing, the printer simply does not print, a message appears when you open the print queue that says "Printing - Waiting for the printer to be available." And that is it, no matter which usb plug the cable in, the printer does not print, it keeps giving this message. Any idea? Thanks

HP Recommended

I would like to add that, after a few minutes of the printer connected to my Mac, I was now surprised by the message: '' Communication failure: The computer is no longer able to communicate with the printer. Turn the printer off, check the printer connections and printing errors, and turn the printer on again. ''

HP Recommended

updating again, the cable i am using is usb 2.0, as this printer is usb 2.0 too, may i try connect my printer directly to imac using usb host pictbridge to try solve the problem?

HP Recommended

@isqdnce

Do you have any Antivirus installed? If you do please disable it for now and check

Have you tried connecting this printer to other computers?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.