Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8260
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Officejet 8260 has Instant Ink cartridges as I am subscribed to the service and for it to print it needs to be connected to Web Services, so that Instant Ink can track number of pages printed to appropriately bill based on subscribed plan.  Recently, my printer had stopped printing because it was unable to connect to the Internet, so I carried out a number of tests and even posted the issue on my ISP community forum for help (Virgin Media) who have been extremely helpful.

• The printer successfully connects to the ISP router (SuperHub 3) using both Wired Ethernet and over WiFi and shows me the IP address assigned by DHCP, gateway being the IP of my router and the subnet address.
  • I can even successfully communicate with the printer using the printer software on my PC over the LAN, e.g. I can scan a document to my PC.

Having established the fact that there is no LAN connectivity issues lets talk about the problem: 

Problem

• I am unable to print anything even a test page because the printer prompts me that I need to be connected to web services (HP Connected/Instant Ink) - asks do you want to connect?
  • Proceed with selection of 'Yes' and get an error: Unable to connect to the Internet check if there is a proxy or contact ISP administrator - why is it not able to connect to the internet when there is no change?
  • I have taken the route of discussing this problem with my ISP having led to believe that the fault lies there, and was advised to test the printer over a mobile hotspot to rule out my ISP.  I did this and observed the same problem over my mobile provider (EE) hotspot, confirming the issue lies in the printer firmware or at the HP connected web service.
  • I need help from HP can you please advise me the best way forward.
  • I want to know if there has been a roll-out of printer firmware - how can I determine the firmware of my printer? Can I roll back to a previous version?  If it's not the printer firmware then it is the target Web Service that it is trying to connect to that is not reachable.

Please do not advise me to carry out the usual steps as I've done them all and none have worked:

1. Carried out disconnecting power supply and holding the power button for 15-30 secs
  2. Carried out reset setting to default
  3. Carried out a fully factory reset and setup
  4. Checked for printer software update, informs me I have the latest software

Something in the printer or at HP web service has changed so it is HP's responsibility to assist, identify the root cause and provide resolution.  The printer has been deemed useless or at least with the Instant Ink service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had been in contact with HP Support and they remotely connected to my PC/Printer and successfully resolved this issue.

There appears to be an issue in the firmware of the printer but resolution steps were as follows:

1. In a browse go to the printers embedded web service by simply entering the IP address of the printer

2. Perform a factory reset and re-setup the printer to connect to WiFi - if this resolves the issue then finish otherwise continue

3. On Network setting you will see there the IP address allocated and would be assigned by DHCP, change to a fixed IP address and select to allocated a suggested one

4. Set the DNS as follows: Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

5. Apply the changes and wait until printer WiFi blue light is solid again, option check IP address on printer is one suggested and applied

6. In the browse change the URL to the new IP address to go back into the embedded web service

7. Go to the Web Services options and connect to the internet and this will successfully connect

Due to the issue my Instant Ink account had to be reactivated by HP support and all was good - I could not print again 🙂

Thanks to Asmita and Ronald - fantastic service resulting in a happy customer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Manj75

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

I have now sent you a direct message with the requested details.

Thanks,

Manjit

HP Recommended

I had been in contact with HP Support and they remotely connected to my PC/Printer and successfully resolved this issue.

There appears to be an issue in the firmware of the printer but resolution steps were as follows:

1. In a browse go to the printers embedded web service by simply entering the IP address of the printer

2. Perform a factory reset and re-setup the printer to connect to WiFi - if this resolves the issue then finish otherwise continue

3. On Network setting you will see there the IP address allocated and would be assigned by DHCP, change to a fixed IP address and select to allocated a suggested one

4. Set the DNS as follows: Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

5. Apply the changes and wait until printer WiFi blue light is solid again, option check IP address on printer is one suggested and applied

6. In the browse change the URL to the new IP address to go back into the embedded web service

7. Go to the Web Services options and connect to the internet and this will successfully connect

Due to the issue my Instant Ink account had to be reactivated by HP support and all was good - I could not print again 🙂

Thanks to Asmita and Ronald - fantastic service resulting in a happy customer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.