Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 plus
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have had an HP Officejet Pro 8600 plus for several years connected wirelessly to my home network. It was working perfectly a week a go but I have tried to us it today and it will not connect.

I have tried every piece of advice from the online help and troubleshooting including:

Turning off / unplugging router, printer and laptop and restarting.

Uninstallng software and reinstalling

Printing off Network Configuraitons and Network Tests

Connecting by USB and trying to modify settings from there (it works over USB incidentally)

Adding it as a reserved IP Address on my Sky Router

The Network Test result for Connectivity seems to be the problem. It says  - Connected     Not run

The Wireless is shown as "On" and "working" and the printer gets as far as finding my router and letting me input the password - it just goes no further.

At no point has the blue WIFI light on the control panel shown any signs of life.

I have been trying to fix this for 6 hours.

If anybody has any good ideas - please help!

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's some good news.  Now go back and add WPA2-AES with a password and run the Wireless Setup Wizard again.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Justin1963 wrote:

At no point has the blue WIFI light on the control panel shown any signs of life.

I have been trying to fix this for 6 hours.

If anybody has any good ideas - please help!

Many thanks

So the light is off all the time?

Reset the printer back to Network Defaults via the front panel.  Status of light at this time, on, off, blinking?  Try to connect via Wireless Setup Wizard via the front panel.  Status now?

HP Recommended
Thanks but I’ve tried that (my list was not exhaustive).

The light does nothing during reset and I must have been through the network wizard 20 times today.
HP Recommended

What is the exact error message?

HP Recommended
Unable to connect to the network.
For diagnostic information, touch Print Details. For help, touch?
The diagnostic information says
“More than one access point/wireless router has been found that matches your wireless network name (SSID).”
I only have one network it is Sky Q.

Under connectivity it says “Connected - Not Run”

Under settings it says “No filtering FÁIL”

It also says “Not applicable” under IP Address which seems odd.
HP Recommended

You have only 1 router, no other access points right?    2.4G and 5G SSID names are different?

Temporarily turn off all security in the router.  Now try to connect to your unsecured 2.4G SSID with no password.  Are you successful?

If yes, go back and add your security WPA2-AES with password and try again.  Status now?

HP Recommended
I’m sorry, I have no idea how to turn off my router security or - more importantly - turn it back on.
I can access the router through the IP address but it is quite limited in what it will let you change.
The security is WAP2 - PSK - Is that the same thing?
HP Recommended

You will have to access your routers admin pages and go to the wireless tab to disable the security.   Usually going to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser will get you in.    Username and password may be prompted.  Combination of blank or admin.

You will have to download your manual for your router and read it to find more.

HP Recommended

Hi, I don't know what time zone you are on but I am on London time so Ihad to go to bed.

Thanks for your help so far, I think we're getting somewhere now!

I turned off the router security and the printer connected instantly. I then ran the "Set Up as new printer" option in the HP program folder and succesfully scanned a document wirelessly.

Unfortunately, as soon as I turned the security back on - the connection disappeared and I was back where I started.

I feel we are close now - any thoughts?

HP Recommended

That's some good news.  Now go back and add WPA2-AES with a password and run the Wireless Setup Wizard again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.