Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Wireless printing
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just changed broadband supplier and my televisions, iphones and Kindle all connect to the new Vodafone router and work perfectly without any problem.

Although I can still print from my laptop using a USB connection, I can no longer print wirelessly either from my iPhone or my laptop. I have followed the HP instructions correctly, uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software and Vodafone have also replaced their router but despite this my HP Photosmart C4780 will not print wirelessly. When I try to connect the WIFI light on the printer flashes and looks for the router but then displays a WPS Time OUT message and says to try again later. I have tried this many times and get the same result.

I have also tried other things and established that the printer displays a PIN number but I don't know if that information is relevant or what to do with it?

As stated I asked Vodafone to replace their router in case the WIFI button on it didn't work but the replacement router did the same thing. Is it possible that this router and my printer are not compatible or can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

PS - the printer DID work wirelessly on my O2 router. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dudley00, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are unable to connect the printer to the network, this could be a connectivity issue or an issue with the printer hardware. Let us try to isolate and resolve the issue.

Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, ensure there are different SSIDs provided for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz network.

Refer to the document Connect to a Wireless HP Printer for help with printer configuration.

Also, you can first connect the printer using USB and then try converting it into wireless. Refer to the document HP Printers - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602,

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help but unfortunately I am a Luddite and do not have a clue if a Vodafone THG3000 router is dual-band enabled or what an SSiD is so I am no further forward.

All I know is that I can print using my USB cable but not wirelessly. I have followed your wireless  instructions which are the same as the instructions I used to connect my previous router but the wireless light on the printer just flashes as it polls for the router whilst I am pressing its WPS button and stops after about 2minutes with a WPS timeout message. Vodafone have replaced the router in case it was a faulty WPS button and I think it unlikely that both routers have the same fault.

Vodafone have also said that they tested the router and there was no fault with the WPS button.

Can you confirm that this router is compatible with the printer? 

Once again many thanks for trying to help

HP Recommended

@Dudley00

The router is dual-band enabled. Check with your ISP and make sure the 2.4GHz and 5GHz have different SSIDs.

And then you can try the WPS method or you can first connect the printer using USB and then try converting it into wireless. Refer to the document HP Printers - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.