Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
iPhone 8
iOS

My HP Smart App is not connecting to my HP ENVY 7640 all in one on my iPhone 8 and on iPad Pro.... just shows the printer with circle going round and round... although there is a check that says ready..   IT does work on my Laptop Surface Pro... I have uninstalled the app on each a few times.... help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Loriann11, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below-

• Confirm the printer is not in energy saving or sleep mode: Press a button on the printer or touch the printer control panel to return it to its normal power state.

• Confirm the printer connection and network name: On your printer, make sure the wireless feature is on, and the printer is connected to the same network as your mobile device.

Some printers have a Wireless icon and a blue light on the printer control panel. Make sure this light is on and not blinking.

• Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device: Go to wireless settings on your mobile device, and make sure Bluetooth is on or enabled.

NOTE: 

Bluetooth is used with some printers only during setup, and not for printing.

• Turn off or move nearby devices: Other wireless printers and devices that emit radio signals, such as microwaves and cordless telephones, can interfere with setup. Turn them off or move them farther away from your printer.

• Check the router band setting: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

• Restart the printer and the mobile device: Restarting the printer and mobile device can clear possible error conditions.

• Restart the router: If you are experiencing a slow or intermittent wireless connection, try restarting your router. Consult your router manufacturer, Internet service provider, or network administrator for instructions on how to restart the router.

• Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer closer to your wireless router, but no closer than 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals can be weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

Update the printer firmware

A firmware update might be available that resolves the connection issue.

• Update directly from the printer: Depending on your printer model, update from the HP ePrint menu , or locate the update feature in the Setup, Service or Settings menu.

• Download updates from HP Customer Support: Go to HP Software and Driver Downloads, type your printer model, and then locate Firmware in the list of available downloads.

If the update does not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

Update iOS to the most recent version.

1. From your mobile device, touch the Settings app, and then touch General.

2. Touch Software Update.

Your device automatically searches for the latest iOS update.

3. If an update is available, touch Download and Install, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.

NOTE: 

For more information about iOS updates, go to Update the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (in English).

If the printer connection fails over the local wireless network, continue with these steps to set up the Wi-Fi Direct printer connection to your Apple device.

NOTE: 

The following steps temporarily disconnect your Apple device from the Internet. If you are printing web-based content such as a webpage, cloud-based document, or an email, open it before proceeding.

1. On the printer, touch the Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct icon  to confirm the feature is on.

2. On your Apple device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

3. Under Choose a network, select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.

5. Try to print.

6. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.