Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3511
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’ve scoured the internet for instructions on how to connect my old printer to my new router.  The router does not have a WPS button.  I’ve downloaded the HP Smart app and have tried going through that.  I’ve tried setting up a new printer.  I’ve tried connecting the printer with the USB but still can’t get it to connect to the WiFi.  It does print with the USB cord plugged in but I need it to print wirelessly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Seashells1,  there may be a way to connect your printer to your WiFi if you can communicate with and control your printer directly (that is, not via your computer).  Does your printer have a touch screen?  Do you know the Network name and access password for your WiFi network?  You usually need these to connect any new device to your WiFi network, so i assume that you know them.  If not, they are often shown on a sticker located on the back or on the bottom of your wireless router.  (Note, these will be the default network name and password that were assigned to your router in the factory.  If you've changed them at any time, then you will need to have kept a record of the new names that you chose.)  Go to the touch-screen on your printer and dig around until you find the Wireless Setup Wizard.  Start the Wizard and it will prompt you for the name of the WiFi network that you want to connect with, and then the password.  Enter these and the Wizard will automatically connect your printer to the network and then print out a Network Connection Summary.  This summary will contain the local IP address assigned to your printer by your WiFi router.  You may need to use this IP address later when adding the printer to your computer.  Good luck

HP Recommended

Yes, I have the network name and password, and yes I know how to change them.  I do not have a touch screen on my printer.  It is the Deskjet 3511.  Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi Seashells1,  the following is a link on the HP Support website for the HP Deskjet 3511 e-All-in-One Printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3510-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5157460/model/52411...

Open the link.  Click on "How To" (with the spanner symbol) and then under the heading "Featured content", select "Connect to a Wireless HP Printer".  This opens a new webpage.  Step 1 is "Connect the Printer to the WiFi Network".  Scroll down until you find the sub-heading "Printers without a touchscreen control panel" and follow the instructions.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions completely.  There is no "cancel" button my printer so I tried it with the "X" button.  Still, nothing when I pressed and held "cancel" and "wireless".  When I go into the app, it just says that my printer is offline.  I even tried "forgetting" the printer and starting over but nothing.  Please let me know how to get wifi on a deskjet 3511 (with no WPS button on my router), not just generic instructions that don't apply to this particular printer.  

HP Recommended

I finally figured it out.  I am posting the link to the page that finally explained how to fix my problem.  See below if you are having the same problem:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1716406-1413451-16

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.