Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5255
iOS

It seems, from reading a lot of these threads, that borderless printing is possible from the HP Smart app on an iPhone.  Is that true?  If so where is the setting to do this.  I have been unable to print borderless photos, and cannot find any settings on the app that will allow this.  It looks like I CAN find this setting on my MacBook using Catalina, but that's just not where my photos are. 

Would love to know if printing borderless from a mobile device is even possible.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Borderless Printing is supported on Photo Paper, such should be in the printer and configured correctly.

First, exit the HP Smart app.

From your printer, open the input tray and load the Photo Paper:

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05531387

Close the paper tray and click No or Edit to change the Paper Size and Type.

Select the required paper size, as well be sure to change it Type accordingly to Photo Paper, Specialty Paper, etc.) and confirm the change.

Now open your Picture with HP Smart and press Print.

Tap the print preview, click Resize & Move and select Fill Page, then press Done.

Swipe up the bottom menu, just above the printer name, review the Paper Settings which should now match your printer settings.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

First, thank you so much for replying so quickly! Second, thank you for showing me where the bottom menu was - that's what I had been looking for, but unable to find.

I followed your instructions step by step, but when I got to this point "Swipe up the bottom menu, just above the printer name, review the Paper Settings which should now match your printer settings." - It still does not match.  Specifically, I'm using 4 x 6 glossy paper, but the options say that it's 4 x 6, plain paper.  And it still prints with a border.

I have tried restarting both the app, the printer and the phone.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @Geoff2000.

Please open and close the paper tray and ensure the paper type has changed too, it should clearly be shown on the printer screen as Photo Paper or Speciality Paper, if not be sure to change it and repeat the process to open and close the tray, to ensure it has changed.

Only one confirmed, close and re-launch the HP Smart app and check, be sure to fully exit the app as the changes won’t apply if the app remains running in the background.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Yes, I went back through the steps, and the printer is set to Specialty Paper: Glossy.  I restarted the app, and still no luck, the app reads "plain" paper. Not sure where to go from here, if it's the app or the printer.

Thank you again for troubleshooting with me, it's much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

So.. checking here:

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first - List of printers and supported applications

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

It does not show the Officejet 5255 as supporting HP Smart App.

?

I would guess there might be a problem to get to the EWS page from within the Smart App to set / check the paper settings.

Perhaps the printer app simply cannot see the settings for paper / tray?

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You're much welcome @Geoff2000,

Let's try changing the paper into Photo Paper and let me know if you may see any difference then, from my testing I could see similar behavior when selecting Specialty Paper too.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hey @Dragon-Fur,

I guess you replies while I just composed my reply and therefore didn't notice it.

The printer is supported, else would not be detected by the app at all, this is a documentation error so will report this to HP 😉

Here are its marketing specifications, this is clearly supported under Mobile Printing Capability:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-5255-all-in-one-printer

Also, its technical specs, see Mobile printing capability:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05945858

Let's agree that 2 wins against 1.

Cheers,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

True on both counts.

Yes, OK - document error - not the first of these.

Backing slowly away and disappearing over the hill...

Smiling.

OK-Bye.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, the only options it gives me on the printer's touchscreen say: "specialty paper, matte", "specialty paper, glossy", "recycled paper" and "plain".  I choose the "glossy" and re-check the settings to make sure it saved.  Then re-open the app, where it tells me the paper type is "4 x 6, plain".  It gets the size right, but not the type.  And still, when I adjust the fill size on the app, there is a border.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.