Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
GYG4R7TH91S8K15Z
Android 9.0 Pie

Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jh101, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You may connect the phone to the printer using wifi-direct if you do not have access to a wireless router to print and scan.

1. Turn on the printer and make sure ink cartridges are installed and paper is loaded in the tray.

2. Get the Wi-Fi Direct printer name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Officejet Pro 6970) and password.

Printers with a control panel display: Open the Wi-Fi Direct menu or print a network configuration report to get the printer name and password.

• Touch the Wi-Fi Direct icon  or open the Wi-Fi Direct settings menu to get the name and password.

• Go to the Reports menu, and then select Network Summary or Network config. to print a network summary page. The name and password is under the Wi-Fi Direct section.

Printers with buttons only: Print a report that lists the Wi-Fi Direct printer name and password. Use a method that matches the buttons on your printer.

• Press the Information button  to print the report.

• Press and hold the Wi-Fi Direct button  for 3 seconds to print the report.

• Press the Wireless  and Information buttons  at the same time to print the report.

• Press and hold the Resume/Cancel  or Resume button  for 2-3 seconds to print the information page.

• Press and hold the Resume/Cancel  or Resume button  for 10 seconds to print the information page.

3. Go to 123.hp.com and install the HP Smart app. Once installed, open the app, and then tap the Plus sign .

4. Tap Looking for Wi-Fi Direct Printers?, and then tap your Wi-Fi Direct printer name.

5. Tap Connect to the printer, enter the printer password, and then tap Connect.

6. Wait for the connection to complete (approximately 5-10 seconds). When the connection completes, the printer name and icon displays on the app home screen. If the printer does not display, tap the Plus sign , and then select the printer.

7. On the app home screen, select Print Photos or Print Documents to open the item on your device that you want to print. If your printer supports scanning, you can also use the Scan feature with Wi-Fi Direct.

For more info on connecting the devices using wifi-direct, refer to this document.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Knmar0307. 

I get all the features with HP smart and the ENVY 5052 except the scan feature. It seems as if the scan is not supported. 

Is that so?

Thanks 

JH101 

HP Recommended

@Jh101

HP Smart app supports scanning. To know how to use the app, refer to Install and Use the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS, iPadOS)

If the issue persists, you may have to use a third-party scanning app. Else, you will need to connect the phone and the printer to a wireless network.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.