Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4504
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am on the Instant Ink plan with HP. This has been working well for ages.

However the latest tri-colour cartridge won't work. I get an error message telling me to remove and re-install the cartridge.

I have tried all the help videos, the suggested fixes and nothing works.

The virtual chat is useless, the phone line just leaves you waiting for ages and there is NO EMAIL contact.

I am therefore paying a monthly plan amount and I am unable to print colour pages!!

Can someone please help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @RoadGlide2017, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge error on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you installed full feature printer software on your PC?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge?

Splendid analysis and remarkable patience shown. It is immensely appreciated.

It's sound like an ink cartridge issue check the ink levels on your printer and replace the low, empty or faulty ink cartridges.

Clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridges.

Follow these steps to make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly.

1. Press the Power button to turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door
  3. To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

4. Pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the cartridge

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzle

Image:  Do not touch the contacts or nozzle.
  5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

Figure : Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles

Image:  Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

CAUTION:

Do not try to remove the copper-colored electrical strip.

6. Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, and then slide the cartridge into the empty slot.

7. Close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge into place.

NOTE:

Insert the color cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right.

Figure: Insert the cartridge

1. Insert the cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color cartridge is on the left, and the black cartridge is on the right

8. Repeat the previous steps to remove, and then reinsert the other cartridge.

9. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge errors on your printer. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please share few details in a private message, So I can check the account details and ship you the replacement ink cartridges.

Instant ink account number-

Instant ink email address-

Printer serial number-

Cartridges needed (Colour or Black)-

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @RoadGlide2017, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge error on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you installed full feature printer software on your PC?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge?

Splendid analysis and remarkable patience shown. It is immensely appreciated.

It's sound like an ink cartridge issue check the ink levels on your printer and replace the low, empty or faulty ink cartridges.

Clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridges.

Follow these steps to make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly.

1. Press the Power button to turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door
  3. To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.

4. Pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the cartridge

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure : Do not touch the contacts or nozzle

Image:  Do not touch the contacts or nozzle.
  5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

Figure : Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles

Image:  Remove any protective tape that still might be on the nozzles.

CAUTION:

Do not try to remove the copper-colored electrical strip.

6. Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, and then slide the cartridge into the empty slot.

7. Close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge into place.

NOTE:

Insert the color cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right.

Figure: Insert the cartridge

1. Insert the cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color cartridge is on the left, and the black cartridge is on the right

8. Repeat the previous steps to remove, and then reinsert the other cartridge.

9. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink cartridge errors on your printer. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please share few details in a private message, So I can check the account details and ship you the replacement ink cartridges.

Instant ink account number-

Instant ink email address-

Printer serial number-

Cartridges needed (Colour or Black)-

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark an accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all the steps you listed and nothing has helped.  I have chged the ink cartidges and even put the old one back in.  It worked for a little bit then started giving me the error message again.  I now have two brand new cartridges opened and neither one works.

HP Recommended

Hi, Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I'm having the same issue. First cartridge supplied by HP Instant Ink and it doesn't work, keeps telling me to reinstall it. Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

Hi.  I couldnt solve the problem and ended up getting replacement cartridges from HP which cured it.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. This is what I thought I'll have to contact them somehow. Many thanks again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.