Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY PRO 6455
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I just got a new HP ENVY PRO 6455 printer for college. I was trying to set it up today and ran into numerous problems. I took the printer out of the box and plugged it. I downloaded the HP smart app and after following the directions on the card the printer came with and on the app. Everything was going well until I tried to connect my computer to the wifi. The wifi at my school is a little tricky but I think my issue is with the printer or the app. When I first opened the app it found my printer right away. Then it told me to connect to the same wifi as the device I was going to use the printer with. I picked one of the wifi option but while it was attempting to connect I accidentally closed the app. At this point the printer was no longer purple like it said it was supposed to be to pair with a device. I restarted the app and this time it did not find my printer right away. I clicked the option to add a new printer and it told me connect to the HP-Setup wifi. When I go to my settings in the wifi there is no option for HP-Setup. I looked up other ways to manually set up the printer and nothing is working. I also have not been able to get the original purple light back that the instructions told me I needed to set up the printer. At the moment the light on the printer is white in the center. I don't know what this means or how to fix it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sploude 

Edits -

Oops! Remove the link to the Windows How-to video

Add video link set wireless defaults...

I can certainly point you in the direction you need to go.

Printer communicates with lights - colors and changing patterns.  Pretty.

The first few pages of the User Guide explain what the printer is trying to tell you.

Open (and save a copy of this document)

User Guide

Way down on Page 110 is how to force the printer back to defaults so you can start over.

Next,

HP DeskJet, ENVY 6000, 6400 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup

This document is for HP DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6075, 6078, 6475, 6476, 6478, HP ENVY 6020, 6052, 6055, HP ENVY Pro 6420, 6452, 6455, and 6458 All-in-One printers.

First time setup – WPS (router), “Find Printer Pin” > PIN Number inside carriage door for connection / EWS

Even better...

Technology Tips – YouTube Video Help for Printers

Search for Envy Pro 6400

Technology Tips Gallery  From our own HP Expert greenturtle

Examples...

HP Envy 6000 series & HP Envy Pro 6452 | 6455 AiO Printer : Reset Wireless to defaults

Unbox/Set Up HP ENVY 6000/ENVY Pro 6400/DeskJet Plus IA 6000/6400 Printers from iOS | HP

HP Envy Pro 6452| 6455 AiO printer : Unbox, Setup, Connect to 5Ghz, Load paper, Scan alignment page

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Pro 6455 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sploude 

Edits -

Oops! Remove the link to the Windows How-to video

Add video link set wireless defaults...

I can certainly point you in the direction you need to go.

Printer communicates with lights - colors and changing patterns.  Pretty.

The first few pages of the User Guide explain what the printer is trying to tell you.

Open (and save a copy of this document)

User Guide

Way down on Page 110 is how to force the printer back to defaults so you can start over.

Next,

HP DeskJet, ENVY 6000, 6400 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup

This document is for HP DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6075, 6078, 6475, 6476, 6478, HP ENVY 6020, 6052, 6055, HP ENVY Pro 6420, 6452, 6455, and 6458 All-in-One printers.

First time setup – WPS (router), “Find Printer Pin” > PIN Number inside carriage door for connection / EWS

Even better...

Technology Tips – YouTube Video Help for Printers

Search for Envy Pro 6400

Technology Tips Gallery  From our own HP Expert greenturtle

Examples...

HP Envy 6000 series & HP Envy Pro 6452 | 6455 AiO Printer : Reset Wireless to defaults

Unbox/Set Up HP ENVY 6000/ENVY Pro 6400/DeskJet Plus IA 6000/6400 Printers from iOS | HP

HP Envy Pro 6452| 6455 AiO printer : Unbox, Setup, Connect to 5Ghz, Load paper, Scan alignment page

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Pro 6455 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to show appreciation for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find a solution.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.