Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I had two HP Envy printers registered to my Instant Ink account.

I removed one of them from the Instant Ink subscription and te last billing period is now in the past.

The printer is still in my Instant Ink dashboard, and shows as "not registered" or "cancelled", as it should be.

I now want to give this printer to another person with their own Instant Ink account so they can enroll it as the first device of their new Instant Ink account.

When trying to "claim" this printer (which is physically in their home wifi network, a message indicates that the printer is still attached to another Instant Ink account.

There is also a mention of a "claim" code to be entered in the Instant Ink enrollment process.

Is the code to be obtained from the device itself, or should the previous owner/user (myself) "release" the printer by issuing this code?

Thank you for your help!

f.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ rutra

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

For printers with control panel displays, you can still get the printer claim code by pressing the HP ePrint icon on the control panel display and selecting Set Up or Yes to enable Web Services.

Your printer attempts to print a page. If Web Services are already enabled on your printer, you see a Web Services Summary screen after pressing the HP ePrint icon.

If enabled, press Print or Print Info to print the Printer Info Page. Even though you cannot print the page, the action of enabling Web Services or pressing Print or Print Info activates your claim code.

Find your HP ePrint email address on the control panel display. Press the ePrint icon again if the Web Services Summary screen goes away.

The first part of the HP ePrint address preceding "@hpeprint.com" is your claim code. For example, if your HP ePrint email is "abc@hpeprint.com", then "abc" is your claim code.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I guess I have an issue that has the same "root cause" as yours, described in this community post just yesterday:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mobile-Printing-Cloud-Printing/Claim-Code-without-printing-and-without...

Basically, it's easy to get a claim code. You either print the info page (you can do this for example from the EWS - just type in the IP adress of your printer into your web browser) or you navigate through the printer menu and find the HPEprint mail adress. it is something like 1234abcd@hpeprint.com. everything before "@" is the claim code you can use (if you have not modified this adress before - which you couldn't do as you don't have the claim code yet).

The problem that both you and me have: without cartridges, the info page won't print. And without cartrdiges - at least my OfficeJet Pro 6970 - won't allow to navigate through the menu. it's in a kind of deadlock where it says to insert cartridges. even the service menu can't be accessed.

I'm still waiting for a reply from HP... 

HP Recommended

@ rutra

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

For printers with control panel displays, you can still get the printer claim code by pressing the HP ePrint icon on the control panel display and selecting Set Up or Yes to enable Web Services.

Your printer attempts to print a page. If Web Services are already enabled on your printer, you see a Web Services Summary screen after pressing the HP ePrint icon.

If enabled, press Print or Print Info to print the Printer Info Page. Even though you cannot print the page, the action of enabling Web Services or pressing Print or Print Info activates your claim code.

Find your HP ePrint email address on the control panel display. Press the ePrint icon again if the Web Services Summary screen goes away.

The first part of the HP ePrint address preceding "@hpeprint.com" is your claim code. For example, if your HP ePrint email is "abc@hpeprint.com", then "abc" is your claim code.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Lecorbusier

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03767641 for help in cancelling Instant Ink

Then Disable and Re-enable Web Services

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks! It worked !

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thank you for your messsage.

Perhaps the solution that was provided by the Instant Ink phone support is simialr to your suggestion, but it worked great.

Essentially, use the settings menu, remove the web services, then go again to the settings, and add the web services.

Then you are prompted to print a page that will contain the new code.

This new code can then be used when attaching the printer to the new Instant Ink account.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Perfect solution! thank you!

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you ☺️

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.