Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Photosmart 6520 will not connect to the network since I had to restart the modem. It was working fine last week before the restart. I have tried all the troubleshooting the HP Support site has directed me to with no luck. I am trying to work from home and not having a printer is impossible. The report generated after failure to connect states MAC filtering may be enabled. I disabled it and added my printer's MAC address to be safe. The printer and modem have not moved from where they were when it was working. I have tried restoring factory settings and going from there with no avail. Yes, I am still operating on Windows 7 but that didn't seem to be an issue last week. Can anyone help???

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @lilducket

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print wirelessly. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

Try printing.

If the issue persists,

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to Tools > Try printing a test page to check the connectivity.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the issue is I can't get the printer to connect to the wireless at all which is weird because it was working fine. So I can't get the IP address or anything because it won't connect.

HP Recommended

@lilducket

• What is the error when you try connecting?
  • Is the printer able to detect the wireless network?
  • Is the blue wireless light blinking or steady?

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC.

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard > Select your network and enter the password.

Once the printer is connected, the blue light will become steady.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't get an error message. I just get "cannot connect to network". I've tried turning off MAC filtering and adding the MAC address (though I never had to do this before and it worked). Yes, it detects the network just won't connect. The blue light is blinking. I have tried restoring factory settings. I have restarted all three several times to no avail.

HP Recommended

@lilducket

Change the channel number on the router to either 1, 6 or 11 and try again.

Kindly contact your Internet service provider for assistance and check for any issues with the router.

Alternatively, connect the printer and the MAC via wifi-direct and check if that works

Refer to this document to know how.

Note: There will be no internet access on the MAC while using wifi-direct.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.