Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Brother printer which has bee confirmed as connected, but my computer will not print my documents. This is a recent problem as it was working up until a few days ago. I just get an error message 'not printing' I have updated my drivers but still my computer will not print. I have deleted and re-installed my printer using wireless as I thought this may solve the problem. My printer is essential to my work and I need it fixed as a matter of urgency. Many thanks in advance for any help. Jennifer

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jennifer2020 

Brother printer is not an HP product.

Try here:

Brother Product Support Center - UK

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

I am perfectly aware that my Brother printer is not an HP product but the problem lies with my HP  laptop and NOT the Brother printer. If you can help please do so. many thanks, Jennifer

HP Recommended

@Jennifer2020 

It is certainly OK to blame the manufacturer of the hardware.   I find similar complaints at other manufacturer sites:  "So and such" is to blame for my situation.  Sometimes it might be true.  I don't know.

In this instance the HP seal on the side of the box likely has less to do with the issue than, say, recent Windows Updates, the type of Wireless connection, the way the printer is reacting to your network (and that connection), whether or not the Windows Print Services is functioning as expected.

Not printing is vague enough that to have any idea what the printer is on about requires that I understand the printer, its connection methods, and its software a bit better than not-at-all.  

I don't plan on learning enough in the next few minutes to help you sort all the possibilities.

=================================================================

What else?

What is true in so much that we (at the HP Community) are aware:

Windows Updates

Recent Windows Updates have seemingly played havoc with some HP printers - not all printers, just a few, in which the changes to the operating system seem to have trigged a reaction in the printer software that results in various issues.  Where available, the solutions vary.   These are posted in the Community. 

HP computer software

What if it's the HP computer software?  The software installed on the computer over which HP has any control is quite limited and includes only a few key areas.  For example,  HP provides value-added HP drivers used to interface between the computer hardware and the Operator (you) or Operating System (Windows).   Examples include drivers for the fingerprint sensor, drivers for the wireless or wired network hardware, and other devices found in the Device Manager.

To date, we have had no word back from HP on changes to HP manufacturer software for a stated purpose to fix printing. 

If there are changes to your HP software or drivers, these are available to you through your HP software and drivers updates.  For example, some people use HP Support Assistant to manage and install their HP software and drivers.

Printer Software

What if it's the printer software - provided by HP for HP printers:  No help for you there.  HP provides value added applications to be used with HP printers (HP Smart for Windows / Mobile, for example).  Even assuming HP updates the HP printer software at some point, this has no impact on your situation.  I don't install Brother printer software for the same reason - I don't have a Brother printer.

Method of Connection

What if it's the method of connection between the printer and the computer on your network?  This is the one area in which there might be a bit overlap, though it has naught to do with HP branded computer hardware.

For example, 

If the printer software is not able to communicate with the actual printer hardware due to the type of connection used (in Windows), one fix that has shown to be beneficial:  Change the connection type from WSD to TCP/IP

You can certainly try changing the connection method.

Caveat - "Before you make changes"

I suggest you do check with your printer manual and perhaps confer with your Brother support community.  Brother printers may not even use the same methods or might use a particular method as default that is known to be "best" for Brother printers.

Method - Create TCP IP port

Find printer's IP /  IPv4 address

Print a Configuration Page

OR

Tap on the wireless icon on Printer Control Panel

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer > Left-Click Printer Properties

Select Tab Ports  > Add Port

Select Standard TCP/IP Port > New Port and follow the wizard.
 Use / Enter IP address for the printer.

Example - How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by greenturtle

Video:  Create & Use TCP IP port
“Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)”

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello, Thank you for your suggestions for fixing my printer problems. However, I have tried everyone and still, my printer does not work. I resurrected my old laptop (Probook 4510s) and plugged the printer into the USB hub and hey presto it printed with no problems. Now, I wonder if you can explain why my newer computer (Pavilion) still cannot print, please? Many thanks, Jennifer

HP Recommended

@Jennifer2020 

No, I cannot explain it.

I would guess the recent problems with printers of various brands are in some cases tied to connection issues, ownership and permission glitches, and perhaps recent Windows Updates (so say various resources and our internal conversations).  In the case of some of these issues, we have found solutions for HP printing. 

If I have anything to add, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.