Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660 series
macOS 10.12 Sierra

So my printer stays on idle and won't print my documents. I printed my test page and that did well, But now it says to reinstall my driver. I don't know what that is?? Please help me. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@angry2--__

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting printer offline issue on HP ENVY 5660 Printer. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Reset the printer.

1. Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button  to turn it on.

8. Try printing again and note what happens.

Remove multiple printers from the printer list.

Check for multiple devices in the Printers list, and then remove any extra entries other than one in idle status.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list

3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try printing again.

Delete the existing print queue and add the printer.

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE: If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.

5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list

7. Try printing again.

Reset the printing system.

Click here and refer the document for more assistance.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with my HP 6830.  I tried the steps you suggested, in order. No luck with resetting. The HP 6830 was the only printer in the cue. I deleted it. No list appears. I tried the HP Easy Start installed on my computer, but it was also looking for a listed printer. 

I have never used a cable to attach the printer to the computer. I"ve had it for several years, so I have no idea where the cable might be. So unless you can suggest any other steps, I'm stuck. I hope this message reaches you, because the original post is old. I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just spent well over an additional hour working on this. I found additional directions online at HP which involved a complete reinstallation and ended up in same situation: printer is on network but doesn't appear in list. Finally on Apple Support, found directions to install using IP address. It worked (at least so far) and the computer knows it is HP 6830, but won't let me change the IP address to the printer name in the list.

So I don't think I need any more help for the moment, but I'm wondering if this is telling me the printer is dying. I've had several recent incidents like this, but I was able to resolve them by rebooting printer and computer. The intervals between incidents have been getting shorter. Again, I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.