Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6600e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hallo,

I recently got a new Fritz OS for my Fritzbox 7590. This includes WPA3 Wlan Security. So I switched over to "WPA2 / WPA3" (it was set to "WPA2" before. After that I found out, that the printer lost access to the net. It was not possible to reconnect, although the router provides WPA2 Security as well as WPA3 now. So it should be able to connect as before...

My HP Officejet 6600e has the latest firmware. 

Does anybody know this problem? Any Solution? 

Matt

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @mattlink

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

The printer cannot connect to WPA3 security as it only supports WPA/WPA2.

Try the steps below to connect the printer to the network-

1. On the printer, select Restore Network Settings (or similar) from the Wireless , Settings , or Restore Settings menu.

2. Get the network name (SSID) and password. Go to Finding Your Wireless Password for more information.

3. Select Wireless Setup Wizard from the Wireless, Settings, or Network Setup menu, and then select your network name and enter the password.

NOTE: 

If the Wireless Setup Wizard is not listed, select Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS, select Push Button, and then follow the steps to connect to the network.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hallo,

and thanks for your reply. 

I do not expect the printer to connect to WPA3, but to WPA2. The router provides both at the same time, and all my other clients still work with WPA2 security. Only the HP printer does not! 

I tried to reconnect the printer using wps but it failed. Using the key also does not work.

The problem is, that the printer does not work with WPA2, when the router provides WPA2 and WPA3. But as the printer supports WPA2 it should work.

Please have a look at this: https://www.mydealz.de/diskussion/fritzos-v720-mit-wpa3-viele-hp-drucker-funktionieren-nicht-mehr-16...

It looks like this does not only concern the Officejet 6600

Greets,

Matt

HP Recommended

Use the guided troubleshooter Troubleshooting | Wireless Printing Center for instruction to isolate and resolve the issue.

For wireless networking issues, run the Wireless Network Test.

To print a Wireless Test Report, touch (right arrow),

touch Setup, touch Network, and then select Print Wireless Network Test.

If a problem is detected, the printed test report includes recommendations that might help solve the problem.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Hallo,

There`s a Mesh including the AVM 7590 (Master), an AVM 2400 Repeater, and an older AVM 7490 as additional access point. So there´s three "Silmatt" SSID which is fine. All this worked for years without issues. It stopped working when the AVM OS 7.20 appeared, and the Security was switched to WPA2 / WPA3 instead of only WPA2. The printer does not accept a WPA2 connect in a mixed WPA2 + WPA3 environment. When I switch it back to WPA2 the printer connects fine again. 

It seems, that there is an issue wich can only be solved via firmware by HP.  There are several other w-lan stuff working fine under the new conditions without supporting WPA3, the only part that stopped working is the HP printer.

Matt

20200721_200909.jpg

HP Recommended

The firmware will not help the printer support the encryption.

You can connect a usb cable between the printer and computer ad print and scan.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but the Printers Wpa2 encryption does not work as it should. Nobody expects it to support WPA3. I should just work as before. The router provides WPA2, and the printer supports WPA2.

We have up to 5 pc working, and the last thing I will do is connect a network printer via USB. 

HP Recommended

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

Hello,

i have the same "bug" as the original poster.

If i use the "WPA2/WPA3" transition mode with the fritz.box Router (the most sold router brand in germany) the officejet 8610 cannot connect to the router anymore. In this mode the old WPA2 devices should  still connect to the Router with WPA2. Now all my devices still connect but not the officejet printer 😞

It does not connect as a WPA2 device and i dont know why.

I tried different wireless settings but they do not work. I have the same error print out like the original poster.

any news on this?

best

rob

HP Recommended

Hi @llcoolrob

The printer only supports WPA/WPA2 encryption type, you can connect a USB cable between the printer and computer ad print and scan.

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Hope this helps! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.