Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, just reading this thread because I have the same problem. I have had my Officejet Pro 8610 for a few years now and it has always worked perfectly. However, yesterday it printed 2 pages of a 3 page document perfectly but then failed to print the entirety of the third page. Each time I tried it was the same. The exact amount it prints varies but it is usually about 20%. Quite often the 3rd page also jams and nothing is printed. I've cleared the jam, re-fanned the paper and generally had a good look around the inside, as far as is possible. I've checked that I have the latest software installed and have nevertheless re-installed the printer just to be sure. All to no effect. However, I have found that the 3rd page prints fine if I use the back-to-back printing option (both long side and short side work fine). This leaves me scratching my head somewhat. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Steve-P I understand this isn't a quality issue, however, the steps provided will help resolve the issue, regardless!

Please perform the steps (from the link as well as the ones I've mentioned) and get back to me with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Steve-P Welcome to HP Community!

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page, and then evaluate the results.

Step 1: Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page to identify the print quality issue.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Print Reports, and then touch Print Reports.

4. Touch Print Quality Report. The printer prints a test page.

Figure : Example of a Print Quality Diagnostics Page

Image: Example of a Print Quality Diagnostics Page.

Step 2: Examine Test Pattern 1

Examine the gray columns in Test Pattern 1.

Figure : Test Pattern 1 with white gaps in the columns

Image: Test Pattern 1 with white gaps in the columns.

• If the columns in Test Pattern 1 do not display dark lines or white gaps where the arrows are pointingskip to the solution to check the image.

• If the columns in Test Pattern 1 display dark lines or white gaps where the arrows are pointing, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Align the printhead

Use an automated tool to align the printhead.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Tools, and then touch Tools.

4. Touch Align Printhead.

5. After the printer prints the alignment page, touch OK, and then recycle or discard the alignment page.

6. Print another Print Quality Diagnostic Page to see if the issue is resolved.

How to print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

3. Swipe the display to scroll to Print Reports, and then touch Print Reports.

4. Touch Print Quality Report. The printer prints a test page.

• If there are no defects on the page, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If there are still dark lines or white gaps where the arrows are pointing in Test Pattern 1, skip to the solution to service the printer.

• If the lines in Test Pattern 2 are not straight and connected, continue to the next step.

Step 5: Examine Test Pattern 2

Evaluate Test Pattern 2 to make sure that the lines are straight and connected.

Figure : Test Pattern 2

Image: Test Pattern 2.

• If the lines in Test Pattern 2 are straight and connected, skip to the step to examine Test Pattern 3.

• If the lines in Test Pattern 2 are not straight and connected, continue with the steps to align the printhead.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 6 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response. However, it doesn't address my problem. My problem is that, when I print a 3 page document - I haven't yet tried larger documents -  only 2 out of 3 pages print. Your solution relates to the quality of the printing, which is not in question.

HP Recommended

@Steve-P I understand this isn't a quality issue, however, the steps provided will help resolve the issue, regardless!

Please perform the steps (from the link as well as the ones I've mentioned) and get back to me with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Amazingly, and for reasons that I don't understand, this worked a treat. All now working fine. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Steve-P I'd say I told you so, and I did 😉 I'm glad it worked, thanks for trusting me and performing those steps,

That said, If you need anything else, feel free to write back and tag me 🙂

Have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.