Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm not having any luck finding an actual permanent solution to the issue of my 255DW consistently being unavailable to print.

It works for a short while until it shows as not being available on the network.  The troubleshooter is useless for fixing it.

I eventually get it working, usually after a half-hour trying various combinations of HP's apps that don't seem to actually do the job they exist for, including rebooting the home network router, rebooting the printer, and performing the proper effigy sacrifices and incantations.  Or doing something equally perverse like re-installing with a USB plugged in, but then removed.

As you can imagine, this isn't very convenient when I need to print out a proof for a client on my way out the door.

Is there an issue with the printer's radio?  Is it some router setting that locks out the printer after a day or two?  The printer is literally 6 feet away from the router which is brand new from my ISP.

I've already been through the whole troubleshooting process multiple times and I have to be honest, I can't remember the specific order of all the ritualistic nuances this printer requires to just be available to...print...when I need it.

The ironic thing is this happened with my last HP LJP printer as well but I've been through a computer upgrade and a brand new modem from my ISP since then.  Oh, and the old one I gave to my daughter

I'm hoping somebody has figured this out because I'm wasting more time getting this printer to be reliable enough for simple light business use.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@QuintonDkock, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the printer goes offline intermittently.

• How far is the printer located from the WiFi router?
  • Restart the router, the printer, and the PC
  • Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both networks.

If the issue persists, assign a static IP address to the printer

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am experiencing a similar issue, where the printer goes to a 169.x.x.x address after some time.  After you force it to reconnect, it works for a while, but then the same.  I have installed the latest firmware.  Please advise.  This is a new printer.  Is this a bug? Having an SSID for each frequency should not be required.  That is not standard for any type of Enterprise network.  

A static IP address configured on the printer should not be required either.  We have a DHCP reservation based on the printer's MAC address, which is the same thing. 

Please advise. 

HP Recommended

@aiwapro

There is no bug. The solution to this is mentioned in my previous post. Perform the steps and monitor the printer.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can you escalate this to be resolved?  Having a SSID for 2.4 Ghz, and a separate SSID for 5Ghz should not be required. 

HP Recommended

@aiwapro

Yes, you may reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.