Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3630 series
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I want to send print jobs from a Mac Mini over LAN to a Macbook Pro and from there via USB to the printer. The printer is shown as offline, although it is directly accessible from the Macbook Pro. All connections are checked and intact. What can I do?

Ich möchte Druckaufträge von einem Mac Mini über LAN zu einem Macbook Pro und von dort per USB zum Drucker schicken. Der Drucker wird als offline angezeigt, obwohl er vom Macbook Pro aus direkt ansprechbar ist. Alle Verbindungen sind überprüft und intakt. Was kann ich machen?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@silvergull, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues printing via USB. Follow the steps below-

1. Turn off the printer and your computer, and then disconnect the USB cable from the computer.

2. Inspect the cable.

• Look for any damage. If the cable is damaged, replace the cable.

• Check the length of the cable. If the cable is more than 3 m (9 ft 10 in) in length, replace the cable with one that is shorter.

3. Connect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. The port should be USB 2.0 or greater. If you use a USB hub or docking station, connect the cable directly to the computer.

4. Make sure the cable is fully secured to both ports.

5. Turn on the computer, and then wait for the computer to complete the startup.

6. Turn on the printer.

• Windows: Wait for the computer to install the new device.

• Mac: Add the printer, if you have not already done so.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Print jobs Mac over LAN and USB

@ TEJ1602

Thank you for your response.

However, this is an answer that answers another question, namely how to connect a printer to a Mac computer. I had already successfully carried out the steps mentioned above.
But connecting a printer to a Mac isn't my question at all! So the answer didn't help.
>> I would like to send a print job from computer A to the printer via LAN and via computer B via USB. <<
The printer on computer A is shown as offline and the print job remains in the queue. All connections are checked and intact.
I can print from computer B.
If I connect computer A directly to the printer via USB, I can also print.
Where's the error and how can I print from all computers on my network?
silvergull

Druckaufträge Mac über LAN und USB

@ TEJ1602

Vielen Dank für Ihre Antwort.

Allerdings ist das eine Antwort, die eine andere Frage beantwortet, nämlich wie man einen Drucker an einen Mac Computer anschließt. Die genannten Schritte hatte ich längst jeweils erfolgreich durchgeführt.

Aber der Anschluß eines Druckers an einen Mac ist gar nicht meine Frage! Insofern hat die Antwort nicht geholfen.

>>Ich möchte einen Druckauftrag von Rechner A über LAN und über Rechner B per USB zum Drucker schicken.<<

Dabei wird der Drucker auf Rechner A als offline angezeigt und der Druckauftrag bleibt in der Warteschlange hängen. Alle Verbindungen sind überprüft und intakt.

Von Rechner B aus kann ich drucken.

Wenn ich Rechner A direkt per USB an den Drucker anschließe, kann ich ebenfalls drucken.

Wo ist der Fehler und wie kann ich von allen Computern aus meinem Netz drucken?

silvergull

HP Recommended

Share USB printer on the network for Mac
To do this, click on the apple symbol in the menu bar at the top and select the "System settings" option. Then go to the «Printers and scanners» section. Mark the printer to be released in the list on the left and check the option "Share this printer on the network" on the right. After clicking on the “Sharing Settings” button, make sure that the printer sharing service is active. The printer is then released on the network and other devices can use it for printing.
I did everything, but the printer is shown as "offline" on the network and therefore does not print.

But I can print at any time from the computer that is directly connected to the printer via USB!

HP Recommended

@silvergull

Thanks for replying!

You can either connect the printer via ethernet or USB, you cannot use both. It is not a supported configuration.

We would suggest you connect the printer to the wireless network so that you can print form both the computers without issues. If you do not have a router, you can connect the printer to the network with an ethernet cable and then print from the computers.

Also, you can try using the WiFI Direct option to print. Refer to the document HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying!

You can either connect the printer via ethernet or USB, you cannot use both. It is not a supported configuration.”

"If you do not have a router, you can connect the printer to the network with an ethernet cable and then print from the computers."

Interesting idea! But where, please, is the Ethernet socket on the HP DeskJet 3630 series?

Of course I don't want to connect the printer via USB and Ethernet at the same time! Who comes up with such an idea?

“We would suggest you connect the printer to the wireless network so that you can print form both the computers without issues.”
In my case, this is not an option. I have a permanently installed LAN!

New trial:

I connected the printer to a computer via USB. I can print from this computer. This computer in turn hangs on my home Ethernet network. The printer is shared on the network! The printer sharing service is active! And now I want to access the printer from another computer in this network. Of course, all computers and the printer are switched on.
But on this other computer the printer is shown as "offline" and as a result you cannot print from there.
How do I put this ad “online”?

Silvergull

HP Recommended

@silvergull

Thanks for replying!

This requires remote asisstance and I'd suggest you reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.