Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Inspire 7955e All-in-One Printer

I have an unopened pack of HP Social Media Snapshots sticky-back photo paper, 4"X5". (It's not exactly new. I see a copyright date of 2015, but I don't remember when or where I bought it. The label says the product works with the HP Social Media Snapshots app, but that app seems to have gone away. It does not appear in Apple's App Store.)

I'd like to use this paper with my new HP Envy Inspire 7955e printer and the HP Smart app. I've selected a photo in the app; I've selected the printer. Now I'm trying to select the paper size, but nowhere do I see 4X5 paper. 

I looked up documentation for the printer here and found this information—

Main Tray: Letter, Executive, Statement (8.5 x 5.5 in), 4 x 6 in, 5 x 7 in, 8 x 10 in, 4 x 12 in,Envelope(#10,A2);PhotoTray:5x5in,4x6in,5x7in

The article adds, helpfully, that the printer supports "No custom sizes."

Okay—it appears that my HP printer and my HP Smart app won't work with my HP 4X5 paper. Please tell me that ain't so. Please point me to a workaround. (Or just tell me to donate this pack of paper to Goodwill.) I'd really like to use this stuff because of the sticky-back feature. I have a specific project where that will be very handy.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Becker240 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

True - the photo tray does not support custom sizes.

That said, your paper might well work in the Main Tray - possibly as a Custom Paper Size.

Reference:   User Guide

Load Paper - starting on Page 13

and

HP Document: HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes

I don't have a MacOS system or examples of using HP Smart for this OS.

All information below is provided FYI - This means:  here's something to try / see / consider

Whether any of this is appropriate for MacOS is not something I can answer...

After loading the paper into the main tray of the printer,

Alert the printer to the paper size that is loaded.

Try using the Embedded Web Server - EWS

If the paper size you are using is not in the list of standard sizes, look for (last entry) and select "Custom"

EWS – Browser – Tray and Paper Management

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Model Dependent:  Advanced section

Click Apply to save changes

Example - Retain / Modify (Edit) / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management

Retain_Printing_Preferences_17Retain_Printing_Preferences_17

Example - Windows - HP Smart - Simple Photo Print

Note: 

Open the HP Smart app

Select to Print Photos

Open the file to be printed

Select the options on the main menu -- the 4x5 inch size likely not in the paper size list - leave as found or select an available size from the list

Scroll to the bottom of the print  menu > Open More Settings

Select a Shortcut / Preset to print a photo

Set the paper type to HP Photo papers

Set the size (hopefully) to 4x5 inch / 10 x 13cm

Note that Borderless might not be an option with this size.

Click OK to save the changes in More Settings and go back to the main print menu

When ready, Click Print

Example 1 - Windows - HP Smart - Simple Photo Print 4x6

HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_4x6_All_2HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_4x6_All_2

Example 2 - HP Smart - Windows - More Settings

Change paper type, size, and source - Print with Border (switch Borderless off)

DragonFur_0-1669573447665.png

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY Inspire 7955e All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community:

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for that very informative reply. I haven't had time to try any of this. Will try later today and let you know how it goes.

HP Recommended

@Becker240 

You are welcome.

Remember that the examples are for Windows -- at the very least,  your HP Smart will likely look much different.

The hope is that the setup will be similar enough that you might find where this might work.

For example, there is likely a "More Settings" sub-menu that you can call from withing the first print menu -- that sub-menu might not be named "More Settings"

EWS - where you can preselect the paper size - perhaps looks similar.

It's the season; I should get out there and add a small Mac system to the collection.  Smiling.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I still have not jumped into that information you so kindly provided, but I thought I should tell you of my experiment. I cut a sheet of 4X6 paper down to 4X5 and slipped it into the main paper tray. I was not sure how far into the tray I needed to push the paper. I thought I needed to push it in far enough for the little wheels to catch it anyway. Well, the printer didn't like it one bit. The control panel popped up with an error about how the PAPER TRAY was blocked and that I needed to unblock it before it would do anything. I managed to extract my 4X5 paper, but I had to restart the printer before it knew all was well. 

So I suppose this printer is simply not built to handle 4X5 paper. The logical side of me wants to believe that a printer should handle any paper dimension up to its maximum capacity, but I guess the mechanism and the software just can't do it. Upon reflection, I think I may have gotten this unopened pack of 4X5 snapshot paper at a thrift store. Maybe someone else had tried and failed with it. I might just take it back there and let someone else have a go at it—someone who has an older printer that can use this stuff. I think I mentioned that the package carries a 2015 copyright date. 

Thanks again for your 

HP Recommended

@Becker240 

You are welcome.

You could well be right -- I don't have a way to test your setup nor can I prove the printer will do what you wanted in this instance.  An impasse.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.