Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After my Envy 7640 printer is plugged in for several hours, I notice the display is flashing and has a message similar to 'there was an error in the connection and you need to turn the printer off and back on again'. It doesn't respond to pressing the on/off button, I have to physically unplug it and plug it in again after 10 or more seconds to get a normal display again. Sometimes the display is frozen even after this and doesn't respond to touch so I have to unplug it for a longer period of time before plugging it back in again. 

I started plugging the printer directly into the wall outlet instead of a power strip when this started happening but it didn't resolve the problem. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@cybergrrl

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try and do a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Are you able to remove the cartridges from the Printer? If yes, remove them and unplug the Printer and plug it back a

in and insert the cartridges.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm sorry I was not able to get back to you until now. I tried doing a firmware update but it said it was already updated. I tried the removing and re-inserting the cartridges as you said and so far, no problems, but I'll have to wait a few days to be sure. 

BTW - I have not been able to successfully install the last 2 updates from HP -

HP - Printer - 6/9/2016 12:00:00 AM - 17.59.0.6180

Installation date: ‎1/‎8/‎2018 9:14 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070103

- AND -

Hewlett-Packard - USB - 2/18/2019 12:00:00 AM - 40.13.1167.1948

Installation date: ‎3/‎29/‎2019 12:10 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F020B

but since they were both optional, I wasn't that concerned.

I'll let you know at the end of the week if it loses power again or if it appears to be resolved. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Sure, do keep us posted 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I understand. I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.