Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro6978

When trying to print from phone or iPad, a message appears that says “printer is busy” 

Nothing will print 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and get the same message, when I try to print using Apple AirPrint from my iPhone and iPad to my printer (which is an HP Photosmart Plus B210a printer).  HOWEVER, I CAN print successfully to my printer from my iPhone and iPad using the HP SMART app.  Because I can print via HP SMART, I conclude that my printer is properly set up and connected to my WiFi network and that my iPhone/iPad is connected to the the same WiFi network as my printer (which is a pre-requisite for printing to a wirelessly connected printer).  Are you trying to print from your iPhone/iPad using the default Print function on your device?  The default print function on Apple iPhone and iPad is AirPrint.  I suggest that you download the HP SMART app from the App Store and try using it to print to your printer.  The HP SMART app is published by HP.  If it works, it demonstrates that your printer is properly set up and solves your printer problem.  Have you checked that your printer is AirPrint-enabled?  There's a comprehensive list of AirPrint compatible printers on the Apple Support website, and there's also a list at HP Customer Support - Knowledge Base (published by HP).  I note that the 2 lists are not always consistent.  For example, my printer is listed as AirPrint compatible on the HP website, but is not listed on the Apple website.  I've concluded that my printer is not AirPrint compatible, but the HP SMART app provides a printing solution.  Good luck in your quest.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.