Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi I'm having a problem getting my printer to connect to my wifi. My printer can not be added to my laptop as it can't be found. I can still print wirelessely but only when i select Direct WIfi. I now can't set up Instant ink as web services can't be enabled but the printer information page says it is connected to my wifi. I've tried re installing the printer software and using the IP address to find the printer but this has not worked.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Emily221

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd be happy to help you with the connectivity issue. However, for an accurate solution, I need more information -

1) What's the model name of the printer? Refer to this link for steps to find the product details. (Ensure not to share the serial number, email, phone number, etc.)

2) What's the operating system installed on the computer? 

While you respond to that, let's try these steps -

Download and install the printer driver from this link (download the driver only if it was previously not installed). 

If the router has a WPS push button, you may try these steps -

1) Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer for more than three seconds to start WPS push mode. The Wireless light starts blinking.

2) Press the WPS button on your router.

NOTE: THE MOMENT YOU PRESS THE WIRELESS BUTTON ON YOUR PRINTER, WITHIN 30 SECONDS YOU SHOULD PRESS THE WPS BUTTON ON THE ROUTER.

If this step is not successful, then we need to first connect the printer to a computer using a USB and then convert the wired connection to wireless as the printer does not have a control panel to enter the Wi-Fi password.

Please refer to this document for steps.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for your help. My printer is a HP Deskjet 2630 and my laptop's operating system is High Sierra (10.13.6). I attempted the steps you suggested but I don't have access to a router. I continued the wireless setup (with the USB cable) but it said my device was not reachable. However it is connected to the correct wi-fi. Hope this makes some sort of sense. Thanks

printer.png

HP Recommended

@Emily221

It looks like you were interacting with @asmita6658, but she is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

Resetting the printer network settings and re-connecting the printer back to your home WiFi may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button https://support.hp.com/doc-images/162/c02131772.gif and the Cancel button https://support.hp.com/doc-images/824/c01623874.gif at the same time for 5 seconds. (This steps will restore default wireless settings on the printer and enable Auto Wireless connect. Immediately continue to the next step to install the software. You have approximately 120 minutes to complete the software setup using the HP auto wireless connect feature.) 

2.) Download and run HP Easy start from here.

3.) Follow the onscreen instructions to connect the printer to your home wireless network.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I can't seem to download the file from the link as it "doesn’t appear to be a valid download file".

HP Recommended

@Emily221

You may download HP Easy Start from here, please make sure that you use step 1 from my previous post to restore network settings before you download and run HP Easy Start.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.