Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get the error message: Printer is offline. It is a wireless connection.

Have tried:

1.Power off the router, 30 seconds, power on the router. With router on, power off the printer, 30 seconds, power on the printer, retry troubleshoot option in the laptop settings. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Raj112

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

To better assist you-

• Is your printer connected to a home network or public network?
  • What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?
  • I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?

meanwhile, try the steps below.

Step 1: Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Manually set the default printer

Set your default printer in Windows 10.

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Printers & scanners from the list of results.

2. If it is checked, uncheck the box beside Let Windows manage my default printer.

3. From the list of printers, click the printer name that matches the name of your printer, and then click Manage. If there are multiple names listed, select the printer that has a status of idle or online.

Clicking the Manage  selection

4. Under Manage your device, click Set as default.

Clicking Set as default

5. Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.

Try steps 3-5 in the document -Printer is Offline (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the printer going offline and it seems HP is unable to fix it. I have the extra warranty and would like the issue permanently fixed.

HP Recommended

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, input the Static IP address you just set from the above information.  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Keep me posted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.