Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office jet 7740
Chrome OS

Since a recent update, printer selection tray dropdown doesn't let me select Tray 1.... it shows both trays, but defaults back to Tray 2 (or Alternate Tray) even when selecting Tray 1 (or Main Tray).   Using Chrome OS, v86, printing over WiFi.  Printer software is updated, printer functions fine except for this problem.  Printer is Wide format HP Office jet 7740.

Any ideas?  Anyone?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@6FeetUnder Which application are you using to print?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

Use Google Cloud Print or HP Print for Chrome to print from your Chromebook. You do not need to download any drivers or software from the HP website or Google to print with your Chromebook.

Step 1: Determine your printer connection type

Printing methods differ depending on whether your printer is connected with a USB cable or to the same wireless network as your Chromebook.

• USB connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser to USB connected printers. Simply connect the USB cable, install HP Print for Chrome (in English), and then follow the onscreen instructions to enable the app. Go to Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App for detailed steps and answers to frequently asked questions.

• Wireless network connection: The HP Print for Chrome app supports printing through the Chrome browser over a local wireless network. Or continue with these steps to print over a local network or remotely with Google Cloud Print.

Step 2: Determine your HP printer type

The steps to set up and register your printer for Google Cloud Print are different depending on whether your printer is a Google Cloud Print Ready printer, an HP ePrint printer, or a non-HP ePrint printer.

If you know already your printer type, skip to the next step to Register your printer with Google Cloud Print.

Look for a Google Cloud Print logo, an HP ePrint logo, or an HP ePrint button or icon  on your printer control panel. If the control panel does not have a logo, button, or icon, navigate to the Network Setup or Wireless Settings menu to locate the Web Services menu.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm using HP Print for Chrome OS...

HP Recommended

@6FeetUnder Thanks for that information,

I suggest you go through the rest of the suggestions to resolve the issue.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Seriously?  Do you think I haven't considered ALL the suggestions, plus more, before coming to this forum?  It was working... and now it's not.  It's just that simple.  I don't think it's a Chrome OS issue because everything was fine after the most recent update.  But this problem DOES seem to coincide with updates to the extensions, of which HP Print is one.  And the printer software is up to date. If you have anything add, I'll certainly welcome suggestions.  But I expect HP will do nothing for quite some time as that  has been my experience with previous issues.

HP Recommended

@6FeetUnder Well, in my defense, you didn't mention anything about it, so I had to ask! 

That sad, if you've already done all those steps and the issue occurred after a recent update, it's most likely a bad update, you may want to check if the printer is working fine on other devices, and if it works fine, consider resetting the chrome OS!

Keep me posted,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yep... I agree it seems to be a bad update to the HP Print Chrome OS extension.  And that would be HP's fault. Right?  And is HP going to fix it, or do I just wait, and wait, and wait for someone to even give a crap?  That's been my past experience.  To answer your question, yes the printer works fine with other devices, including the HP Smart Print app for Android.   But that wonderfully useless tool only does me any good if I convert any document I want to print from tray 1 to a PDF first.  So if your next question is how satisfied am I with HP Support for printers, I'll tell you very clearly I AM NOT.  And, no, I will NOT be buying another HP printer, computer or any other product.  This forum is full of people with frustrating issues that NO ONE seems able or willing to fix.... I wish I had checked it out before I bought this printer.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great printer.  But with an engineering team that doesn't even fully test their updates, then ignores the problems they create until it suits them and not their customers, my HP OfficeJet 7740 is really just a great big paperweight and nothing else.  Does HP understand that when people buy printers it's because they need to print.... not just the day they buy them, but for the foreseeable future?  There's always a big push to make sure we order HP "Original" ink.   Thanks to the latest HP Print update, I no longer seem to need any ink at all, do I?

With that said, perhaps you could elaborate on your last remaining suggestion... what does "resetting the Chrome OS" mean? 

HP Recommended

@6FeetUnder I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can simply click here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.