Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Other

I'm trying to print a 4x6 photo on a 8x11 paper. I set the printer to 4x6 but it keeps printing the whole 8x11 paper. I tried putting a 4x6 paper in the printer but after it came out, it only printed half of a face, taking up the full 4x6 paper. I have no idea how to adjust those settings to fit what I need fit no matter which paper I choose.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I'm trying to print a 4x6 photo on a 8x11 paper. I set the printer to 4x6 but it keeps printing the whole 8x11 paper. I tried putting a 4x6 paper in the printer but after it came out, it only printed half of a face, taking up the full 4x6 paper. I have no idea how to adjust those settings to fit what I need fit no matter which paper I choose. 

HP Recommended

@Ajayjo 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

This is one of those times when details matter.

@Ajayjo wrote:

Subject: Printing issue

Product:  Unknown

Operating System:  Unknown

Software / Application:  Unknown

Connection Type:  Unknown

I'm trying to print a 4x6 photo on a 8x11 paper.

I set the printer to 4x6 but it keeps printing the whole 8x11 paper.

I tried putting a 4x6 paper in the printer but after it came out, it only printed half of a face, taking up the full 4x6 paper.

I have no idea how to adjust those settings to fit what I need fit no matter which paper I choose.

Use the information provided, some general points and advice...

What you want to do is easy using Windows, a supported printer, and the HP Smart application.

HP Smart - Mobile -- at this writing -- lacks the necessary controls to print a precisely sized photo on a different sized paper.

HP Smart - Mobile -- requires the paper size / type settings to be adjusted before the content is opened to be printed.

Supported printers generally support both sizes of Photo Paper (Letter and 4x6 inch) --

After changing paper in the printer, Use the printer control panel or EWS to update the paper size and type

Examples

Example - Tray and Paper - "Alert the printer to the paper size and type"

Retain_Printing_Preferences_18Retain_Printing_Preferences_18

General Example - Windows - HP Smart - Simple Photo Print - A4

Notes - Edit settings

>> Depending on content, Change Orientation to "Portrait" or "Landscape

>> Change Paper Size to "Letter" and Photo Size to "4x6 in."

HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_A4_All_4HP_Smart_Win_Print_Photo_A4_All_4

Example - Windows - Photos (app) - Photo 5x7" on Letter Paper

Photos_Print_Letter-5x7_1Photos_Print_Letter-5x7_1

Example - HP Smart - Mobile - iPadOS - Photo Print - Resize

HP_Smart_Mobile_Image_Print_Resize-Move_6HP_Smart_Mobile_Image_Print_Resize-Move_6

----------------------------------------

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Printer Product Home

Enter the device type and model name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Fix printer connection and printing problems in Windows
Unplug and restart your printer.
Check cables or wireless connection.
Uninstall and reinstall your printer. 
Install the latest driver for your printer.
Clear and reset the print spooler.
Change a printer's status to "online"

Regards,

Diana

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.