Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MFP281fdw
iOS

I can print a few pages from different apps and from online but when I go to print a larger document, it will either not print or stop after a few pages. I have tried printing directly, saving the document to an app on the printer with no luck. I have used the HP Smart app with no luck. I have turned  both printer and iPad off and then on again. My firmware was updated about a month ago. The wireless networks match up on the iPad and printer. I have shut off the router and back on again. 

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi @mikejh2323,

I'd like to help!

What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

Do you receive any error messages?

Meanwhile, try the below suggestions-

update the iOS device, refer to this document - Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Print documents, photos, and webpages using AirPrint.

Learn how to print from Apple iOS to a wireless HP printer.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. Open the item you want to print, and then tap the Share icon  or  .

3. Tap Print or the Print icon  to open Printer Options.

4. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

5. Change any of the following print job settings. Available settings vary depending on the app you are printing from, the print job type, and your printer.

• Paper: Make any paper size changes on the printer. AirPrint automatically detects the paper size loaded in the printer or the size selected on the printer control panel. If the detected size is different than the paper in the tray, an error might display asking to confirm the size.

• Number of copies: Select how many copies you want to print.

• Black & White: Select to print in grayscale. This option only displays for color printers.

• Double-sided printing: Print on both sides of the paper for certain file types.

• Page range: Select specific pages within a document or webpage to print.

Printer Options screen

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for the message. Everything is turned on and the wireless network matches on the printer as does my iPad and iPhone. I have tried printing the document from both devices but no luck. Both devices are up to date.  I even saved the document to app on the printer and it wouldn’t print. I have tried to print this document from internet, pdf document, and Google Drive. I was able to print other smaller  documents  from the Pages app and Acrobat. All the printing settings are correct and weren’t changed from what I had just printed. 

HP Recommended

Restart your phone and iPad and the printer 

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

and try printing.

To better assist -

1. When you try and print those applications do you get an error?
  2. Have you tried printing from a different browser?
  3. How big is the document you are trying to print?
  4. What are the paper type and paper size?
  5. Are you able to print images and notes saved on your phone?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

I have tried different browsers (Chrome and Firefox). I never receive an error message. When I hit print, I can hear the audible sounds that normally come with printing and the printer’s screen shows the “printing” icon, but than it stops. The document I am trying to print is 37 pages. I did just print a 1 page document from online so the printer is working. I did unplug from the wall and from the back of the printer for 5 minutes. The paper size is normal size that I print; 8 1/2 x 11. 

HP Recommended

Are you able to print other dense documents without an issue?

Have selected the print all option before printing?

Try printing connected via Wi-Fi direct and let me know if that works- Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Let me know!

HP Recommended

I tried printing a 20 page document the other day and it worked. 

I have been trying to print just a 3 page document today by regular Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct and nothing.

The printer continues to make the setup noise when I hit print but after that noise, I hear a round of clicking sounds.

HP Recommended

Are you able to make standalone copies using the printer?

HP Recommended

It took me 20 minutes to try and print from the Pages app the other day. It was just a 3 page document. I finally used the HP Smart app. When I went to print the same document again, it wouldn’t print. Just went to the same clicking noises. Unplugged it and tried and failed. Repeated that several times and it finally printed two more copies. It’s very sporadic and undependable. 

HP Recommended

How is the printer connected to your device Wifi or USB?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.