Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have installed a google wifi module to replace access via the internet provider's router. The HP 7640 printer is connected and functions perfectly both to the Internet (send and receive emails with scans and remote prints) and if you access via wifi (with the same Google Wifi module).

On PCs connected to the LAN, the printer - correctly configured as tested by HP SCAN DOCTOR - can not be reached.

On the Google WIFI Module I also opened the 9100 TcP / UDP ports and enabled UPNP support.

Google technical support claims that the HP printer is not compatible because it only supports 2.4 Ghz connections but it seems silly to me ...

The printer is connected and visible also from the google wifi app.

thank you for your help 

Max

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
 PC <--> LAN <--> Router/switch <--> Google Wifi <--> Hp 7640  (KO)

PC/SMARTPHONE  <--> Google Wifi <--> Hp 7640  (OK)  
INTERNET<--> Router/switch <--> Google Wifi <--> Hp 7640  (OK)  
HP Recommended

@MaxP1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• How is the printer connected to the computer? (Wireless/Ethernet/USB)
  • Are you getting any error when you print?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
  • Is the router configured to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

While you respond to that, I would like to inform you that the printer works only on 2.4GHz. If the router is configured for 5GHz please make sure you configure it to the 2.4GHz.

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @the_fossette

the printer is well connected to WIFI network at 2,4 Ghz ( the Google HOME Wifi support both frequencies) and it has an IP address from the pool managed by the google home wifi .

I have done all the troubleshooting test that I know before: the Printer can send email and receive print task from Internet but was not reacheble from Lan connected PC.

With HP Print and scan Doctor the printer was not visible from LAN also if I have created a specific printer port with the new address assigned (and reserved) by Google Home Wifi.

On the Google Home Wifi I have also open 9100 port form configuration app. 

All the other devices don't give any problem when translated from the wifi managed with ISP router to the new Wifi network managed by Google Home WIfi.

The Google assistance <wificare@google.com> tell me that there's a well know compatibility problem with HP Printers ... 

thank you for your support !

Max

HP Recommended

@MaxP1,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Print the wireless test report for information about the printer wireless connection. The wireless test report provides information about the printer status, hardware (MAC) address, and IP address. If the printer is connected to a network, the test report displays details about the network settings.

To print the wireless test report

1. From the printer control panel, touch (Wireless), and then touch ( Settings ).

2. Touch Print Reports

3. Touch Wireless Test Report.

If the test passes follow the below steps to restore the network to defaults.

1. From the printer control panel, touch Setup and then touch Network Setup.

2. Touch Network Settings.

3. Touch Restore network to defaults.

Then, try connecting the printer back to the network using the wireless setup wizard and check if it works.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Ray

I have done all what you say and HP7640 is well connected again to wifi lan on the Google Home Wifi gateway... but when I try to search and install the printer with HP Print and Scan doctor 5.1 it can't find the printer (again) ...

HP Recommended

@MaxP1,

Appreciate all your time and efforts. I suggest you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance.

I have sent you a private message, to contact HP Phone support that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.