Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem--scan to email used to work with my AOL account but now it doesn't.  I've tried re-entering my credentials but the error remains:  "Username or password is incorrect.  Ensure both user account and password are valid."  My printer/scanner is MFP M277dw.  Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem was on the AOL side.  The typical password that you use to check email no longer works for the scanner.  You must create an "app password" for AOL.  Do this in the AOL account settings.  This will generate a unique, dedicated password to use with the scanner.  The username is the same as you use for email.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @surfer_z,

I'd like to help!

The password for the email address can be edited and updated on the EWS page of the printer, let us try these steps: 

Option 1: Use the HP software to set up the Scan to Email feature.

1. Open the HP software/printer icon on the desktop screen.
  2. Under the Scan or Scanner Actions heading, click Scan to Email Wizard.
  3. When the outgoing email profile window displays, click your email address associated with this profile.
  4. You will also find an option to delete a previously configured Email address
  5. Enter an email profile display name. This is the name that will display on the printer control panel for the email profile.
  6. Enter a security PIN to restrict access to this email profile from the printer control panel, if desired.
  7. Enter the correct SMTP server and SMTP port information.
  8. If you typically have to enter a user name and password to log into your email account, you will want to enter this information into the email authentication fields.
  9. Click Next, and then click Save and Test or Save to complete the email profile configuration.

Alternatively, you can also watch this video to know how to delete and set up an Email address for scanning from HP printers

Option 2: Open the embedded web server

1. Find out the IP address or hostname of the printer by touching (Wireless) or (Ethernet) or by printing a network configuration page.

Note: The printer must be on a network and must have an IP address.

2. In a supported web browser on your computer, type the IP address of the printer. For example, if the IP address is 123.123.123.123

Note: If you get a security message as "your connection is not private", click on Advanced and proceed to this website.

Step 2: On the printer settings page, go to Scan > scan to email > Select your email address > Edit > Authenticate > Email login authentication > Input new password > Next > Save and Test

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

HP Recommended

The problem was on the AOL side.  The typical password that you use to check email no longer works for the scanner.  You must create an "app password" for AOL.  Do this in the AOL account settings.  This will generate a unique, dedicated password to use with the scanner.  The username is the same as you use for email.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing that information.

I am glad the issue is resolved.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.