Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5055
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Someone else is sending docs to my printer!

I have an HP 5055, wireless printer. Someone NOT in my home just printed a lengthy document to itI 

I have a password enabled router with two bands - each different passwords/names. 

Funnily enough, no one in my home can print to the printer unless we turn it on first, but this person didn't have to do that! I was told by HP when troubleshooting problems last week that my router type and printer IP address don't work together (his exact words: "Thank you for confirming this, printer is not compatible with model you have, and that's the reason printer is receiving corrupted IP address from it. In this case, you need to contact your router support and ask them to assign manual IP to the printer so that it can be connected to Mac or Windows over wireless network. The reason you are not able to see printer in Mac or Windows computer is that printer has corrupted IP address and only Arris Support can assign manual IP address to printer from web page of the router device."

(My router works fine in every other way ands isn't supported by manufacturer anymore.)

Bottom line - how can I secure my printer so this doesn't happen?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LMJenkins Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to set the secure for your printer.

HP does not recommend connecting a printer to an open network that is not secured behind a firewall or router. This increases the risk of other people accessing printer functions, printing unwanted pages, or worse. To avoid security issues, make sure the printer is connected to a secured network with a configured firewall or router.

If you must connect the printer to an open network, change security settings to help reduce the risk of unwanted access.

note:

Available settings and menu names vary by printer model and firmware version. Refer to your printer user guide for specific configuration options.

Network settings

Change network settings to improve printer security. The following settings are available in the printer's web-based software. Go to Using the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) for more information.

• Disable IPP Printing

• Enable IPPs Printing

• Disable Proxy Settings

• Change wireless security to WPA2 or stronger

• Enable Redirect to HTTPS

• Set Encryption Strength to High

Web Services and cloud printing

Web Services supports HP ePrint, HP Instant Ink, printing apps, and voice printing. Disable Web Services and cloud printing if you do not use these services. The following settings are available in the printer's web-based software. Go to Using the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) for more information.

• Remove Web Services

• Disable Proxy Settings

• Disable Google Cloud Print if it is not used

Please refer to the below link as well.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06211161

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.