Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Tango
iOS

I just completed setting up a new Tango printer.   I was completely set up and operating, and then I set a custom device (I think Embedded Web Services) password.   To test, I tried printing and then going back into settings to see when I would be prompted for the password, etc.   In settings I was prompted for username and password, which I didn't understand at the time because I had only set a password.   Now, I believe, the username is a default, admin or ADMIN.   But before I realized this, I reset the printer by holding the network button down for three seconds.

Now, when I set up the printer, I'm prompted for that custom password.   Just the password.   I enter the password that I set and the app will not accept it.  EDIT:  I figured out that when adding the printer, if I tap on the image of the printer instead of the setup button then I will get to the screen with printer status, options, etc.   From there I select Advanced settings, etc. to get to the password page, where I'm prompted for username and password.   I tried ADMIN and admin for username with the custom password that I created, but still get an error.   Maybe I fat fingered the password when I created it, but I don't think so.   ---- Maybe my error, but still, there must be a way to rest the password or this is a crappy design. 

So, I don't know what to do next.  I think I read that if the printer if a setup is not completed after a reset, the printer will return to the previous settings.   If this is the case, I suppose I should wait for that to happen, and then try and enter the advanced settings again (with knowledge that the username is ADMIN or admin) and clear the password for the time being.  But I'm afraid now that the password will be rejected.

Finally, I saw a message at one point, before I reset the printer to network defaults, that the session was locked.   I don't know for how long, or if the reset should have undone the lock.

Looking for advice on next step.  My ideal solution would be to clear or reset the custom password now and start over from scratch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Spoiler (Highlight to read)Ok.  Not a **bleep** design.   You do have to have hands on access to the printer.   The answer is in the manual, under button combinations, reset to factor defaults.

"With the ink door open, press and hold the Wi-Fi and Power buttons for at least three seconds. "Ok.  Not a **bleep** design.   You do have to have hands on access to the printer.   The answer is in the manual, under button combinations, reset to factor defaults."With the ink door open, press and hold the Wi-Fi and Power buttons for at least three seconds. "

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Spoiler (Highlight to read)Ok.  Not a **bleep** design.   You do have to have hands on access to the printer.   The answer is in the manual, under button combinations, reset to factor defaults.

"With the ink door open, press and hold the Wi-Fi and Power buttons for at least three seconds. "Ok.  Not a **bleep** design.   You do have to have hands on access to the printer.   The answer is in the manual, under button combinations, reset to factor defaults."With the ink door open, press and hold the Wi-Fi and Power buttons for at least three seconds. "

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.