Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Other

HP Color Jet Laser Pro MFP M283cdw

Firmware Datecode = 20200324

Wi-Fi Direct = On

Wi-Fi Direct Name = Direct-C7-HP M283 Laser Jet

Connection Method = Automatic (I've tested with Manual settings too)

Wi-Fi Direct Password = 12345678 (rolls eyes. The default is straight out of Space Balls! I've tested with Manual settings too, which changes this password)

Number of Devices 1 of 5 (when I turn on WiFi and connect to the printer with my Samsung phone)

Samsung S20 FE UW

Android Verizon 12
Provider = Verizon 

Aside from using my Samsung S20 / Verizon account, I don't have internet.

Network WiFi = Off (I've tried turning this on, even though that makes no sense. With WiFi Direct On, there should be NO need for Internet, which I've explained, I don't have anyway)

Nonetheless, in the Network Status 

SSID: Verizon-SM-G781V-(more digits I'm leaving blank)

Due to not having Internet or a wireless router, I can't see sharing more of the Settings configs in this message at this time.

My Samsung S20 shows "Connected Without Internet"

The printer shows Number of Devices = 1 of 5, so it seems to be connected at both ends by WiFi Direct

The HP Smart app, which I *just* freshly reinstalled from the Play Store, shows the printer Status as Ready, with a green checkmark.

I also just reinstalled the HP Service Print Plugin, which seems to simply provide a link to open the HP Smart app, in addition to some rather generic settings.

Attempting to print anything off my Samsung S20 just results in the dreaded (and heavily reported), "This printer isn't available right now" message.

Yes. I've rebooted the printer multiple times in between multiple tests of multiple configuration tweaks, as well as restarting my phone multiple times with multiple reconnecting. Nothing works.

My Google searches have found *years* of this justifiable complaint with ZERO definitive answers.

Anybody have a real solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.