Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 3755
iOS

Hello HP Community,

It's been a year now but I am unable to see my printer remotely using the HP Smart App. When connected to WiFi there is no issue.

This occurs with both my iOS and Mac OS X devices. 

Catalina 10.15.6 and iOS 13.6.1. HP Smart version 7.3.1

Please see attached screenshots.

Screenshot 2020-08-530 at 5.14.37 AM.jpgScreenshot 2020-508-30 at 5.144.54 AM.jpg

Thank You

V/R

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@rchdnls, Welcome to HP Support Community!

First, let us isolate the issue on MAC OS. To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Please see the below answers and screenshots. Bonjour and mDNS are enabled on my gateway.

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • They are on the same network but separate VLAN's. 
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Yes

• What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • 2 ft
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • No
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?
  • See attached screenshots.Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.47.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.43.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-01 at 2.42.43 PM.png

HP Recommended

@rchdnls

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

You may have to download the photo to see it. Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 3.37.34 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 3.37.34 PM.pngPlease see attached.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 3.37.34 PM.jpg

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@rchdnls

I see that the computer is connected to the 5GHz network, however, the printer is only compatible with the 2.4GHz network. Try connecting both the devices on the same network and print 🙂

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hello,

The issue is not printing. i can print internally. The issue is printing externally using the HP Smart iOS app. 

I cannot select my device or see it online remotely.

Do you have the ports and protocols that the device communicates both internal to the network and externally to the web?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@rchdnls

Thanks for waiting!

Follow the steps from the document https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06097800 to print remotely to your printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I think I figured it out. 

I no longer see an option in HP Smart to enable "Print Anywhere".

When I logged into the HP Smart portal on the web I can see my printer online. 

This leads me to believe 

1) MY ISP is blocking the ports/protocols which communicate between HP Smart servers and the printer.

2) My gateway (router) is blocking incoming/outgoing ports between the printer and HP Smart servers.

3) The latest firmware upgrade of the printer and/or HP Smart app removed this feature. 

I looked at all of your documentation and I  do not see the option to enable Print Anywhere which was an option previously.

If you have the ports and protocols of the communications between HP Smart and the 3755 Deskjet I can see if this resolves the issue.

Thank You

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.