Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp office jet printer pro 6978

Hello We are homebound ans need help so kids canprint out their school work. The printer says it’s on line and connected to wifi but the laptops say the printer is offline. Don’t know how to fix. I have turn on and off reconnected wifi and done printer software upgrade

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Anatoro

Welcome to HP support community.

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

Meanwhile:

If you are using this printer on a Windows 10 computer, follow the below steps to fix the issue:

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Reports .

3. Touch Network configuration report.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy @Sandytechy20

The manual IP is not an option when the IP address wont even connect...this is what im getting on the browser:

This site can’t be reached

192..... took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

i already tried hp print and scan doctor, its failing though
WeyardWiz_0-1584758073246.png

when i hit retry, i made sure this time my printer is not asleep, and after 15 mins it finally finished setup

WeyardWiz_0-1584758829416.png

but when i print something from MS word, it fails even though the status is ready!

WeyardWiz_1-1584758881549.png
WeyardWiz_2-1584758945953.png
WeyardWiz_3-1584758989201.png

then it decides to print afterwards! after like 3 mins! why does it do that?!

WeyardWiz_4-1584759035911.png

HP Recommended

@Anatoro

Let's try the below steps to see if that helps -

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your PC?

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Changing the ATT router channel from 11 to 6 40mhz allowed me to login to the ip address of the printer and use manual ip!

Issue is now resolved 

HP Recommended

@WeyardWiz

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Had to self-install a new router from Frontier.  Got all my devices switched to new router and password except for my HP Deskjet 2540.  How do I change the network and password???  It's still trying to interface with the old router.  Frontier and HP not any help - I'm out of warranty (of course!).

HP Recommended

@Ddfrontier I'm just a fellow member like you but try going on the settings of the wireless of the printer and reset the network configuration, then go through the network configuration once again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.