Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How did you figure out what the preferred name should be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@stef143

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need assistance with inserting the preferred printer name to add a printer to your computer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

How are you adding the printer? is on a wireless network or a wired network?

Is this the first time you're adding a printer?

Also, the previous post was done back in 2015 and it's highly unlikely the same person would get back to you, so please direct your query along with the printer model name and OS you are using it with, to the HP Forums community for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@stef143

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 
I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need assistance with inserting the preferred printer name to add a printer to your computer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

How are you adding the printer? is on a wireless network or a wired network?

Is this the first time you're adding a printer?

Also, the previous post was done back in 2015 and it's highly unlikely the same person would get back to you, so please direct your query along with the printer model name and OS you are using it with, to the HP Forums community for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  
Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a HP Wireless Photosmart 5514 and am trying to connect my Samsung Galaxy 7.  This wireless printer  has already been connected to our laptops and works WITH the exception of the fact that it kicks off continuously.  But back to the Galaxy 7.

I go to More

Printer

HP, Inc is the ON position

when i click through it cannot find a printer

When I go to Add Printer - it asks me Wi-Fi, or direct to printer, I select Wi=Fi

It asks me for Preferred Printer Name -- I have no idea what this is.  I'm trying to put in HP Photosmart 5514, then anything

I put in the IP address that is showing on the screen of the wireless printer

It grinds and then says unable to communicate with printer

When I click on Manage Printers -- it says no printer connected

Very frustrating

HP Recommended
Where do I find the preferred printer name for my hp photosmart 5520 printer? I'm adding printer to a wireless network for tge 1st time
HP Recommended
My printer name is hp 3450 series. I need to connect to my phone . It asks me my preferred name
HP Recommended

Hello, @Vansh648

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand that the printer is connected to the network and you would like to add it to your Android / iOS phone. The preferred name is simply the name that you would like to give your printer which is displayed on your phone.

Not to worry it is pretty simple by using our HP AiO Printer Remote App. With the HP All-in-One (AiO) Printer Remote app, you can set up your printer on a wireless network. You can also print, scan, and troubleshoot printer issues.

The link provided above gives you all details of the minimum system requirements to install that app and how it works. This is good for Apple OS also. In case you get an iPhone, the same app can be installed and used. 

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Me Too, can't find preferred name. I also have a HP 5520 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Larson89

Thanks for posting in HP Support Forums! I'd like to help 🙂

Are you also trying to connect the phone to your printer? If so, please specify the details.

Alternatively, try the steps listed above to use the HP AiO Remote app.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Yes, trying to connect phone to printer
HP Recommended

The http address changed, on it's own. I have a hp envy 4520 all in one printer.

It printed since I bought it 5 months ago. How do I chnage it so ity'll print?  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.