Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a Mac and I have used the 2540 for awhile now and recently updated my wireless router, everything was working up until then. I have read through and followed the instructions of the website but still cannot get the wireless connection connected on the printer and cannot find my cord. I'm not sure what step I've missed or if it's something else. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have changed router, you will need to connect your printer and mac using the new wifi password.

try opening the printer & scanning tab within preferences and clicking on your printer. You shoudl be able to find some options within the printer ustility to allow you to setup your wireless connection.

If you have any problems, please remove the printer using the minus sign and re-add it using the plus sign and follow the steps when prompted to connect it wirelessly.

Printer Utility.JPG

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have changed router, you will need to connect your printer and mac using the new wifi password.

try opening the printer & scanning tab within preferences and clicking on your printer. You shoudl be able to find some options within the printer ustility to allow you to setup your wireless connection.

If you have any problems, please remove the printer using the minus sign and re-add it using the plus sign and follow the steps when prompted to connect it wirelessly.

Printer Utility.JPG

"

HP Recommended

@Donal_M wrote:

Hi,

Printer Utility.JPG

Hi.  I have tried all that but I still couldn't connect.  I decided to delete the printer entirely and reinstall the software from the setup disc.  However the external CD drive recently purchased did not function and, even worse, will not release my HP disc!  I have downloaded the software but can't install it as my Mac can't find my printer on the network.  

I am using a different type of network.  My router receives a wifi signal from a central point, I then access secure wifi from there.  Everything else wifi in my property works.  

Are you able to help please.  It's vital that my printer works as I am doing an online Uni course.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try connecting your printer via USB to your mac and setting up the wireless connection that way. once established, you should be able to remove the USB and print wirelessly.

Once the USB is connected, use the printer utility menu to try and establish a wireless connection.

"

HP Recommended

@Donal_M wrote:

Hi,

Try connecting your printer via USB to your mac and setting up the wireless connection that way. once established, you should be able to remove the USB and print wirelessly.

Once the USB is connected, use the printer utility menu to try and establish a wireless connection.

I have done all of that.  Having removed the USB cable, the blue light is now on, not flashing.  the contol panel says I've got a very strong signal.  The utility screen says I am not connected, and I still can't print!!!

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Try using the printer utility to re-establish the wireless connection no wthat the USB has been removed.

I've inclued a document below that may be of some help also.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-2540-All-in-One-Printer-series/5295960/model/5295961/...

"

HP Recommended

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN THIS MATTER, IT DID HELP WITH A LITTLE TRIAL AND ERROR.... ONCE OR TWICE, BUT DID WORK

HP Recommended

Glad to hear that it worked in the end :generic:

"

HP Recommended

@Donal_M wrote:

Glad to hear that it worked in the end :generic:

The post above yours was not from me.  I am still struggling.  Have been chatting to HP on FB as it is easier, although I still haven't got it sorted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.