Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3050a j611
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer setup keeps telling me my password is incorrect to connect to the wireless network. The password is not incorrect. I can not reconfigure the printer settings from the computer because it says it needs connected to WiFi. Can’t connect to WiFi because says the password is wrong. Tried using a usb cord and then try to change to wireless and it says the same thing. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Sara_8614, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you have issues with connecting the printer to the network. I'd recommend you follow the steps below-

Re-enter the passphrase.

The passphrase must be entered exactly as required by your router or gateway, including any spaces, capital, and lower case letters, and special characters.

NOTE: 

You can use another Wi-Fi device, such as a phone or tablet, to connect to your router/gateway and make sure that all of passphrase characters are correct. If the passphrase does not work on another Wi-Fi device, then the passphrase is not correct and does not work. For more information on how you can retrieve your wireless passphrase, see Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Windows) or consult your Internet Service Provider.

If the “Invalid Passphrase” error continues to occur after entering the correct passphrase, then the problem may be related to the PMF feature. A printer firmware update might resolve the problem.

Update from the HP website using a USB cable

Download firmware updates from the HP website and install it over a USB cable connection.

1. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then enter your printer model number.

2. Select your operating system if needed.

3. Under Firmware, click Download, and then save the file to a folder on your computer.

4. Connect a USB cable from the computer to the printer, and wait 20 seconds for the operating system to set up the device.

5. Run the firmware update file that was downloaded earlier.

An HP Printer Update window opens.

6. Select the printer serial number, and click Update.

Figure : Updating the printer firmware (Windows version shown)

The HP Printer Update utility window showing a serial number selected for an HP OfficeJet 4650 and an activity bar showing that the update is in progress.
  7. When the update is finished, click OK.

8. If you are using Windows, remove the printer that was added by Windows.

1. Search Windows for Devices and Printers, and then open Device and Printers from the search results.

2. Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.

9. Disconnect the USB cable.

10. Reconnect the printer to the router/gateway.

Also, additionally, get into your router settings and then change your security mode from "WPA/WPA2" to only "WPA". You can also take the help of your ISP.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.