Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I have a new router and the printer will not connect to the internet.  The wireless network test results say that "If MAC address filtering is enabled, and you would like to keep it enabled, you must add the MAC address to your printer to the list of permitted devices for your wireless router before continuing."

I am able to log into my router, but have no idea how to update my MAC address.  

I am very frustrated as I have had continual connection issues with this printer, and this seems like a pretty extreme thing to have to do to connect a printer to a network.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DJAB

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that after changing the router, the printer is unable to connect and print. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. Fabulous diagnostics, spectacular analysis of the issue by you. Kudos to you for that. 

You may have to contact the router manufacturer to add the printer's IP address to the list of permitted devices by the router.

However, before you do that, I suggest you to make an attempt to connect the printer to the wireless network. The following steps should help:

Re-run the wireless setup wizard:

Once the printer appears to be connected to the wireless network, let us remove and re-add the printer as Airprint in the Mac OS by following the below steps:

Step 1: Remove multiple printers from the printer list

Check for multiple devices in the Printers list, and then remove any extra entries other than one in idle status.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer remains offline or displays an error, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE: If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try printing again.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

Hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm always here to assist you.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

HI again, thank you for your response.  I reset the network settings, but my printer will still not accept the wireless password, nor will it recognize it through the WPS Push button setup.  The rpinter tries for about 2 minutes to connect to the network, then I receive the "Unable to connect to network".  When I print the diagnostic report, it gives me the same info to add the MAC address to the router.

HP Recommended

@DJAB

You're most welcome.

I will have to research on this issue and get back to you in the next 48 hours. 

Meanwhile, please try to contact your router company and see if they could add the printer's mac address to the router's exception list. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I was able to figure out how to add my MAC address to my router.  Although this has fixed the problem of connecting my printer to wifi, I am not sure why something so technical needed to be done to connect my printer. 

On another note, my HP Officejet Pro 8620 continues to print intermittently. We often have to turn it on and off to get it to print.   I have googled this, and it seems a lot of people have the same problem with this printer.  

If you have any suggestions as to why it works intermittently, I would appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I had same problems and I fixed it following your instructions. Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Hi @DJAB, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Did you add your printer as AirPrint?

As you mentioned you were able to figure out on how to add MAC address to your router.

I'm glad to know you were able to find out the solution.

And as you mentioned your printer print intermittently.

Please contact your ISP (internet service provider) to add MAC address of your printer.

Try updating your MAC to the latest version (10.3.6) and check if it helps.

Also, update the printer firmware. Click Here

Lastly, try removing and adding your printer as AirPrint.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-In-One Series

My printer is unable to connect to the internet.  The solution says if MAC address filtering is enabled and you would like to keep it enabled, you must add MAC address of your printer to the list of permitted devices for your wireless router before continuing.  How do I do this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.