Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy 5640
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Brand new out of box today HP Envy 5640. ran through set ups , inserted ink cartridges, inserted photo paper, installed drivers onto laptop, downloaded app to iphone then hit the 'Door Open' error.  door is most definitely closed... ran through all four suggestions on the net to no avail. final one telling me to 'service the machine' I certainly will not! it's two hours old! 

anybody else had this issue?

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello, @stu_fozzy - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are getting the “Door open” message on your printer. I will certainly try and help you fix this error 🙂 To help you better, I need to know where you are getting this message. Are you getting this message on the printer control panel or on your PC?

While waiting for your reply, let's try the steps below:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Now, open and then close the cartridge access door of your printer. Make sure the cartridge is closed tightly.
  • Repeat the exercise for your input tray and ADF door.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle and check.

Also, check the steps mentioned here if the issue persists: http://hp.care/2dSUBf0

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

DOOR SENSOR IS THE GRAY PIECE SEEN HERE TO BELOW LABEL. GENTLY INSERT HAND UNDER BLACK PANEL. GENTLY TOGGLE GRAY SENSOR. PRINTER CARTRIDE WILL START BUT NOT TO WORRY.  WORK FOR ME!DOOR SENSORDOOR SENSOR

HP Recommended

This did not work tried it twice. Brand new printer

HP Recommended

It’s an HP jet Pro 300 color MFP  m375nw

the front door open message coming in the printer control panel

HP Recommended

I have the HP Envy Photo 7800. I went to print something off for school when I got the printer cartridge is low. So, I got new cartridges, loaded them in, now I have the door open message on my laptop and it wont print now. I have gone through, open n closed the cartridge door, did a hard reset n shut down the printer, unplugged the back and waited for 30 sec and still have this open door message. This is a brand new printer. I dont understand what the issue is. 

HP Recommended

@Blackmourne

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

Try updating the printer firmware and check if that helps

Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

remove the printer from Control Panel - Device and printer, and reinstall the printer again

HP Recommended

I am now having the exact same problem with "door open" showing on the printer queue window on my laptop (not on the printer screen itself) right after I installed new cartridges. Did any of the suggestions solve your problem?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue, tried all the above recommendations, none worked 😞

Even if i remove the cartridges, turn it on/off , it is always complaining about open doors...

Is there anything else i can try ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.