Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new OfficeJet Pro 6978 to replace an older one (same exact model) that had failed and was out of warranty. I opened HP Smart on my computer and removed the (old) printer from my profile. I then added the new printer, which works fine. 

As part of the setup process for the new printer, it printed a page telling me about the ability to send print jobs to an email address, so I could print things on my home printer even when I'm not at home. It gives a default, random alphanumeric address like 4eF3kf0Q@hpeprint.com  but it also tells you to log in to your online HP account where you can customize it to a friendlier name. e.g. MyPrinter@hpeprint.com.

When I tried to customize the email address to send print jobs to, I tried to use the custom address I'd set up previously with my old printer, but it told me that address was in use and to pick something else. I did, and that's fine, however:

--I'd like to be able to disable that old address, and I can't because I've already deleted the old printer from my profile. Had I known better. I could have deleted it, or at least changed it to something random and weird, but I didn't know. I saw somewhere on here that this email address can be re-used after 6 months. Not sure how that works. Right now if I send an email to the old address to test it, I get an email back from HP that it was received but is delayed because the printer is turned off.

On a related note, how do I wipe/reset the old printer before throwing it out, so that it no longer has any info in it associated with my Wifi, home network etc.?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

OK, so I found my paperwork for the first printer and, thankfully, I had saved the sheet that prints off with the printer's claim code. With that, I was able to log in to HP Smart and add the old printer back; and once it was back, I was able to change the email address to something long and random that will be nearly impossible to accidentally send a print job to. Plus I have the permissions set to "Allowed" which is basically a whitelist; only email addresses entered there can send jobs to the printer. 

Still need to figure out how to wipe/reset the printer to factory defaults. I'll bet that info is on here somewhere. 😄 

HP Recommended

@aec618,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to reset the printer to factory defaults.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps to the printer to factory defaults.

1.From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2.Touch Network Setup.

3.Touch Restore Network Settings.A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4.Touch Yes.

5.Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.