Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
m203dw

I am trying to setup a new laser jet m203dw printer.   Long story short, the printers signal is not showing up for Wifi Direct printing. the Configuration Report from the printer says "Disabled" under WiFi Direct Setup (whereas earlier it said status enabled, and provided lots of other info like IP, etc) . 

How can I turn this back on?  

I DO NOT have a means of connecting it to a pc/laptop.  The printer was intended to be used only with smart phones. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Download the User Guide here.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m203-printer-series/9365400/model/9365402/manua...

Page 47 tells you how to enable WiFi Direct.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response.  Page 47 states:

"Enable or disable Wi-Fi Direct:   Wi-Fi Direct capabilities must be enabled first from the printer EWS."

The problem, according to my configuration report, is that the WiFi Direct is Disabled.  Therefore I can not enter the EWS as instructed on page 47.  

Any idea how I can enable wifi direct?

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

I have read it.  However I do not see a way to enable wifi direct without first accessing the EWS. I do not see a way to access the EWS without enabling the wifi direct.  a rather vicious cycle.   

Maybe I am asking the wrong question or using the wrong terminology?  Perhaps to rephrase, the printer is no longer producing its own wireless network for me to connect to.  Therefore I can not access the EWS (which is where I understand the settings to be located).   

Truly, thank you for any help.  

HP Recommended

Did you back up a bit and read the previous pages????

HP Recommended

Looks like only two ways (EWS or PC) to restore defaults, and I don't have access to either tonight. lol   Unless you know of another way.  Oh well, I will have to put this project oh hold until I can borrow a pc.  

Thank you again for your quick assistance.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.