Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One

I am using hpeprint (Cloud Printing) since years.
I always used my <nickname>@hpeprint.com to print - understanding the risk, that some other person might guess this mailaddress and my printer will be flooded with print-jobs from others (let's take the risk, and maybe change to a more difficult mailaddress once this happens).

Lately I had to take my printer offline for some hours and after turning it on, the webservice was deactivated.

After re-activating it, I was disappointed, that my existing mailaddress was gone, and re-using this address was rejected (and can only be re-used after 6 months of non-usage).

So, let's take another address - a more complicated one, than my previous ...

After 2 days my printer started printing jobs of another person - my reaction was: let's choose a "stronger", not guessable mailaddress: I created a random address with my passwordmanager, and ended up with something like: [edit]!

But what happened is, I still received print-jobs from the same person (now it started to become really weird).

Next step: I logged on to https://www.hpconnected.com and chose the option to restrict printing only from listed mailaddresses as sender (I added my 5 mailaddresses).

and what happened next: my printer is still printing print-jobs from that person.

=> please help!!!

thanks Michael

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@xwitty 

I don't know - it sounds like perhaps your network is not secure.  ?

Unwanted Flyers or Ads on the Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply!

as written: I never had issues the past years - everything started after my printer wanted to re-enable the HPePrint webservice (without any reason?!)!

I screened your linked checklist - happy, that I did all the steps already before:

1. Manage who can send HP ePrint jobs

I restricted (whitelisted) ePrinting to my private emailaddresses only

2. Change your HP ePrint email address

I changed the emailaddress to something you can't guess (20 random characters [0-9a-z.])

3. Secure the Wi-Fi network

strong WiFi-password + MAC-address whitelisting (I will never call my home-network 100% secure, but for sure, I use security-mechanisms above average!)

and in the end, this issue is not related to local printing, but HPePrint

4. Secure the Wi-Fi Direct or HP Wireless Direct feature

is disabled

summary:

the strange thing is, that

* my printer asked to re-activate the webservice for HPePrint (without a good reason)

* for the first time within years: right after the HPePrint re-activation and even a "stronger" emailaddress, an unknown person's printjob was printed on my printer (no ads - real personal print-jobs)

* after changing to an unguessable 20 character random emailaddress: the same unknown person was able to send a printjob (how did this person know exactly my new emailaddress - I think an error on HPePrint-side is more likely)

* after whitlisting the sender-emailaddresses to my private emailaddresses: the same unknown person was still able to send a printjob (which even underlines my theory of an error on HPePrint-side)

=> any idea?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.