Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPEnvy 5640

My Wifi printer mysteriously stopped printing recently (as has happened several times before). I have reinstalled the printer and have run the Print Doctor. The Print Doctor tells me everything is fine now and it has installed updates, and suggests printing a test page. It says if it doesn't print (which it didn't) you should click on "No Print". I have done this but the result is that nothing at all happens and the page is frozen on my screen. The only way I can get rid of it is to turn my computer off. What do I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JaneRue,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to update the firmware and keep getting the message 'Update incomplete'.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below: 

Disable Web Services:

1. On your printer control panel, touch or press the HP ePrint icon or button, and then touch or press Settings.

If your printer control panel does not have an icon or button, navigate to Web Services Setup, Network Setup, or Wireless Settings to open the Web Services menu, depending on your printer model.

2. Select Turn Off, Disable, or Remove, depending on your printer model.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to turn off Web Services.

Enable Web services:

a. Touch the ePrint button on the control panel.

b. Accept the terms of use, and then follow the onscreen instructions to enable Web Services.

The ePrint information sheet prints, containing a printer code.

c. Go to www.hp.com/go/ePrintCenter, click the Sign In button, and then click the Sign-Up link at the top of the window that appears.

d. When prompted, enter the printer code to add your printer.

2. Touch ePrint on the control panel. From the Web Services Summary screen, get your printer's email address.

3. Compose and send an email to your printer's email address from your computer or mobile device, anywhere and anytime. Both the email message and recognized attachments will print.

You may also check the link: http://hp.care/2nYhPkL

​

You have a good day ahead.

​​​​​​​

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@JaneRue,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you are unable to print from your HP ENVY 5640 e-All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not configured properly.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the links below depending up the operating system installed on the computer: 

1. Printer is Offline (Windows)

2. 'Printer Offline' or 'Printer Not Responding' Message (Mac)

Also, let us know the operating system installed on the computer from the links below: 

1. Click Here If Windows Operating System is installed

2. Click Here If Mac Operating System is installed

Let me know how this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks so much for getting back to me.

I have used your instructions to establish that I have a Windows 8.1 system.

On the next step I need to say that I am not getting a message saying that the printer is off-line. It simply doesn't print.

Also there was an issue with the last stage of the Print Doctor. It says at the end that I should run a Test Print which I clicked on. It didn't print so i clicked on 'No Print' but nothing happened after that. The Print Doctor page just froze.

HP Recommended

@JaneRue,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

This issue could occur if the drivers are corrupted.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Step 3: Update the firmware from the link: Firmware Update

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help. The printer has started working again!

(although I was not able to update the firmware as the update button was greyed out)

However, I now have a further issue with the printer. 

It has a permanent message on the display saying 'Update incomplete'. It gives me the option 'Would you like to update the printer?' If I click YES it just returns to the same message again. if I click NO it says that web services will be disabled.

It will still print. When I send something to print, a different message appears, saying 'Connect printer to update Instant Ink status'. If I click Ok it prints, but then returns to the 'Update incomplete'.

How can I clear the screen, as at the moment I can't scan or copy at all? 

HP Recommended

PS I forgot to add, something:

It will still print. When I send something to print, a different message appears, saying 'Connect printer to update Instant Ink status'. If I click Ok it prints, but then returns to the 'Update incomplete'. If I click CONNECT it also returns to the 'Update incomplete message'.

HP Recommended

PPS I found a way to get rid of the messages - turn it off of course. But as soon as I start printing again, the messages as above come back.

HP Recommended

Hi @JaneRue,

I understand that you are unable to update the firmware and keep getting the message 'Update incomplete'.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below: 

Disable Web Services:

1. On your printer control panel, touch or press the HP ePrint icon or button, and then touch or press Settings.

If your printer control panel does not have an icon or button, navigate to Web Services Setup, Network Setup, or Wireless Settings to open the Web Services menu, depending on your printer model.

2. Select Turn Off, Disable, or Remove, depending on your printer model.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions to turn off Web Services.

Enable Web services:

a. Touch the ePrint button on the control panel.

b. Accept the terms of use, and then follow the onscreen instructions to enable Web Services.

The ePrint information sheet prints, containing a printer code.

c. Go to www.hp.com/go/ePrintCenter, click the Sign In button, and then click the Sign-Up link at the top of the window that appears.

d. When prompted, enter the printer code to add your printer.

2. Touch ePrint on the control panel. From the Web Services Summary screen, get your printer's email address.

3. Compose and send an email to your printer's email address from your computer or mobile device, anywhere and anytime. Both the email message and recognized attachments will print.

You may also check the link: http://hp.care/2nYhPkL

​

​​​​​​​

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Everything seems to be fine now. Kind regards, Jane R

HP Recommended

Hi @JaneRue,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

It was a pleasure assisting you. You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.