Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY N1U77AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue has been going on for some time.  It is very annoying during use of system... Cannot tell if the static / noise is coming through the speaker, but it is loud. 

I have run thorough HD tests, memory tests and cannot eliminate this noise.  It appears to coincide with accessing the HD.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@alotze1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you checked if the noise is audible when connected to a headphone

Have you tried to update the Bios?

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to run any test on Audio from F2?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by updating the Bios, Chipset and Audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer and check for the crackling noise.

Alternatively, you can connect a Headphone and check for the crackling noise coming from the right speakers.

If the issue persists, then I would suggest here is to run a test on the Audio from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have completed all the steps you have suggested, no faults were found.  Issue persists.  I have attached a pair of headphones to the audio jack, and the noise persists, but not through the audio.

HP Recommended

I have uploaded an mp3 file to my googledrive - here it is, the recording is made with a voice recorder, and the sound is created during an incoming email to Outlook.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/LotzeLaptop

HP Recommended

I have the same noise, its not audio driven. noise is there when speakers  muted.  Noise comes on only when selecting  Utube music  or using a card game, no noise doing Email .. Noise is a buzzing of low  frequency...also when this happens the audio is distorted.These symtoms apear only when the HP power adapter is plugged in, I  took voltage readings during this condition and they look normal...5.14 VDC

and a ripple of  ..004 VAC........IN  Battery only condition their is no noise , just normal operation.....I just do not want to spend a hundred dollars on a replacement HP power adapter to find out that is not the problem..

HP Recommended

I have unplugged my power supply, running off of batteries, and have yet to hear the offending noise after 3+ hours of operation... You may be on to something.

HP Recommended

I'm amazed.  Thank you for posting this.  I just found this post and unplugged my power supply.  Seems to be working over a couple of hours.  I've had terrible clicking and popping for 3 months and have tried almost everything from driver upgrades, driver downgrades, BIOS updates, full clean Windows 10 Pro install, disabled various components, ran many many tests, all to no success.  I'm hoping this works.  

BTW, the voltage rating for my power supply is 19.5V and tests at 19.89V.    Didn't check the ripple or the amperage (didnt' open the case or a proper load), but I'm thinking the power supply is bad.  Might look into a generic power brick.  They're cheaper and not as bad some say.

Also, I'm very diappointed in HP's support policies.  Granted my system is out of warranty, but I've purchased many (50-60) laptops for home and my business over the years.  But now they won't talk to you about anything unless you pay.  And they hang up on you if ask too many questions (happened 3 times recently).  Unless you're buying, both tech support and customer support are not talking.  The policy was never so draconian.  I'm likely going to rethink future purchases.

Thank you again for the post!!

HP Recommended

@Raj1788 -  any comments?

HP Recommended

Found the NOISE problem.....its comming from the "woffers"  inside ENVY lap top...inside there are 2 sets of speakers....i took my  lap top apart tonight .....UNPLUGGED the plug with a red and a black wires from connector labeled "Jsub1"......those speakers would generate noise no matter where audio level was set when using the power adapter......on battery only power no noise was generated.......SO  now using laptop with just the other set of speakers......so boys and girls all you have to do is take it apart and do it......good luck.

HP Recommended

That's great.  I was thinking about replacing the speakers, but then found this post on the forums (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Subwoofer-Envy-17-malfunction/td-p/6598970) . Different model laptop, but same problems.  This person replaced the subwoofer, but it didn't help.

So, your suggestion makes great sense and then at least you can have the power supply plugged in and not get that nasty hissing/crackling/popping. 

Just so you know, I did buy a new power supply and that did not help either. 

Going to pull the subwoofer cable later.

Thanks again for the post. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.