Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (154 Views)

Abysmal audio performance!

Product Name: Omen by HP laptop W2N32UA#ABA
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have exactly the same complaints as others regarding the abysmal audio quality of this device. I'm not expecting reference monitor quality but sufficient volume and lack of distortion to enjoy the system is a minimum expectation. Yes I have checked all of the boxes, loaded and unloaded drivers, had lengthy discussions with a tech and it still remains substandard.

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (116 Views)

Re: Abysmal audio performance!

@DisgruntledOmen

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Smiley Happy I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 15-ax033dx and are facing audio quality issues with your HP laptop. The audio quality is bad and there is distortion You have reinstalled the audio drivers and have also contacted HP technical support. But the issue still persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the issue occur also while using external speakers (if available) or headphones?
  • Was any hardware test run on the audio? If yes then what was the result?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate an audio test. 

Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the audio test has bad results then it indicates towards a hardware defect and you need to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

Hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (87 Views)

Hello Kazi,

I performed the hardware diagnostics as you requested. The test passed. Using headphones does provide a slightly acceptable result. As far as examining the system with an RTA or similar instrument, no I have not; the problem is easily discerned by subjective means.

Regards.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (65 Views)

Hello @DisgruntledOmen

Thanks for the update!

I see that you were working with @MKazi. I would like to jump in with a suggestion Smiley Happy

Solution 1:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

Solution 2:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Select the Communications tab up the top.
  • By default ‘when windows detects communications activity’ is set to ‘Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%’.
  • Change this to ‘Do nothing’.
  • Press OK.

If the issue still persists, try the steps below:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “Realtek high definition audio CODEC” (It might be a different brand as well) and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not Realtek High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (59 Views)

Hello DVortex,

Thank you for weighing in in this issue. With regards to your suggestions:

#1 --Is not an option offered.

#2 --Has been the setting I have been using since I first set up this PC some 6 months ago.

Issue still persists suggestion.

Executed your changes, no discernable change in quality or volume.

i am mostly convinced that the next solution to attempt is placing this mess up for sale on Craig's List.

Thanks again for the willingness to help.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (54 Views)

Hello, @DisgruntledOmen

Appreciate your efforts!

I would like to recommend a couple of more steps to check. Go to http://hp.care/2nKGVWM and perform a BIOS defaults and BIOS update and check.

If that does not help, try creating a local account in Windows and then try playing audio from this local account. Here is how you can create a local account: http://hp.care/2dWJKgW 

Hope that helps! Let me know Smiley Happy

Cheers Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation