Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Nevermind... 4 days was nice but it happened again today. Back to the drawing board on this one. Any official word from HP? They must have looked at this by now.

HP Recommended

I am seeing the same issues.  I am a teacher which means I can't supervise my online class when I am rebooting.  HP tech support was TERRIBLE!

HP Recommended

They try their best but tech support isn't going to be able to help with this. They can help you add your printer or fix your email but novel issues like this require novel solutions- something tier 1 tech people are not capable of.

Edit: I say this with the utmost respect for HP (and all) support techs. I was one of them for several years and have a tremendous amount of respect for their work and the amount of effort they put into solving peoples issues. They are wonderful people and often don't get the appreciation they honestly deserve.

HP Recommended

Blyat,

Your description of the fix for the Audio driver issues on your HP Envy x360 15m-ee0013dx sounds reasonable and being 4 days problem-free is encouraging.   Given that the combinations I have tried have not provided 4 days of uninterrupted service, I am inclined to follow your path.  I would be grateful if you could clarify a couple of things:

1) HP Audio Switch and other HP utils:  I am not sure what you mean by these.  Are these drivers in the Device Manager?  Or are they utils that show up in the start menu?   Also (and I hate to ask, but it is important), can you recall the other HP audio apps that you uninstalled?

2) Did you make any changes to the B&O Audio Controls?  I have seen some "solutions" that did turn off any enhancements.

3) Did you actually install a stock Realtek driver for the graphics card (as I read it, the "sound" is part of the AMD graphics card).  Which version did you use?

4) When you executed the AMD Auto-detect tool, did it locate, select, download and install the associated drivers for you?

5) Factory restore?  You and others have cautioned to make sure that the "factory restore" option is checked.  What is that option in?  Is that in the AMD auto detect?  In an HP utility?  In a Windows restore option? 

6) Before you started, did you have to uninstall and remove any old drivers?  Did you use the AMD cleanup utility?  Did you disable or uninstall anything in the Device Manager?  I just want to make sure we aer starting from the same location.

Again, if you could provide a bit more clarity, it would be most appreciated.  Right now, I - and many others, it seems - have an $800-$1000 investment that is causing us a lot of grief.  It sure will be nice to get this whole driver issue straightened out!

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and insight!

HP Recommended

Hey! I'll do my best to clarify... I would just stick with uninstalling the program "HP audio switch", I'm not sure if it even related to this but it is a mostly useless tool that runs at startup and will do nothing for you. You can do so through start>settings>apps. I left bang and oloffski alone, it is ok for now.

Then, you'll want to go to that page I linked before and just click "Download Tool". It doesn't really do anything too special, it just installs the most recent version of the AMD performance drivers. The laptop comes with some kind of "lite version". When you open the program that you download from the AMD page it will show a splash screen before clicking install and one of the only things there is a box that says "Factory Restore". It should be checked already. Go ahead and install and you should hopefully see an improvement once its done. Remember to restart once finished. I did not use the AMD cleanup utility.

You can also right click on the desktop and click Radeon Control Panel to see the software once it's finished, its much nicer than what you have now. You might want to turn off Windows updates in start>settings>update & security... smash that pause for 7 days button like 20x (If you have any major updates available maybe do them before pausing. Especially security updates).

More troubleshooting....... I checked the system logs (aka reliability history) today immediately after it crashed and found that YESTERDAY Windows update replaced the NEW AMD driver with the broken OEM driver. Willing to bet my RTX 2070 super that this is what caused it to start screwing up today. It was especially evident when I tried to open the graphics controls and got a funky driver mismatch error message. I disabled Windows update for the next 30 days, we will see what happs. I have attached images showing this in case someone from HP wants to send this up.Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

OLD (OEM)
Radeon Settings Version - 10.19.40016.0
Driver Packaging Version - 19.40.52-200519a-355552C-HP
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01426
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13587
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.12
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.116
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.125

NEW (Adrenaline)
Software Version - 2020.0826.1331.24343
Driver Version - 20.20.27.01-200826a-358376E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01451
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.14736
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.16
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.154
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.2.149
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this.  Tier 1 is not for this, but I asked them to escalate to Tier 2, who should be able to at least look through the Windows Event Log and see why the system crashed as a result.  Instead, they argued with each other whether it was software or hardware, and wanted me to pay for extra support (I got this laptop in July).  I would have even taken, "we know this is an issue, and our team is trying to figure out the solution and push an update."

HP Recommended

I purchased two of these exact laptops for my children to use for distance learning.  Both of them are exhibiting the same symptoms described by others during Zoom or Google meetings.  Usually the speaker will start to emit a loud, repeated buzzing/clicking sound.  Only way to stop it is to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds and turn off the laptop completely. I've tried a few things on my own to update drivers and change some settings but nothing works.  It is causing disruptions multiple times a day, both for my children and for me as I try to help them.

Very disappointing that these beautiful, brand new laptops are handicapped by this issue.

HP Recommended

This is a software problem, unfortunately it gets complicated after HP, Microsoft and Zooms' update.  I tried to solve the problem by reset the computer, reset the driver and update OEM driver.  They are not good solutions.  The best way for now just disable the AMD audio device from device manager then use your own Mic.  It has been two weeks without the problem.  Don't waste your time try to fix it at software side until HP come out the solution.

HP Recommended

this is the exact issue i have as well. In the past the AMD drivers directly from AMD worked and stuck. It seem sthat this issue always comes back when the driver and AMD software is mismatched. Please keep us posted and thank you!

HP Recommended

@blyat thank you! I think this is a good place to look as this audio and buzzing and crashing bug seems to happen when the driver and AMD software are mismatched. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.